Export UDK map and all children to UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export UDK map and all children to UT3?

I am a university student and I have to make a CTF map for UT3. Unfortunately I jumped the gun a little and downloaded UDK, went in all guns blazing and created half of my level in a couple of days (I spent most of my childhood making levels and couldn't believe my luck when the assignment for one module was to use Unreal Editor to make a level) ... being a noob when it comes to the Unreal Engine (yes I played it but never built anything for it) I presumed that there was only one editor for the game and never even considered it properly.

My Lecturer informed me that there is no way to convert what I made in UDK to UT3, and that I would have to start again.
    Fortunately I am not a noob when it comes to conversions (I am sms_747 who built the universe for X-Timelines [X3 Terran Conflict Community Mod]) and used the Unreal Text format to export the level from UDK and then import to UT3. Unfortunately, half of the materials and meshes are MIA because they are not included in UT3.

My question is.. is there a way for me to take everything with me so I don't have to do quite so much work?

You won't be able to port the missing meshes and materials easily I'm afraid - sounds like you've already done the obvious with the T3D'fu.

Comment

Thank you for the reply ambershee.

When you say 'easily' ... how difficult are we talking here, I don't mind giving something a go if you have an idea? I do have various tools at my disposal and can learn new ones quickly if necessary :curious face:

Comment

Rough way (yes, I know lots of rough ways to get around Unreal Engine, God knows how) is copying the textures, export the copy, import to UT3, reconstruct the material, and tada. If all else fail, a rougher way : PrintScreen (LOL, but this is serious. I dunno any other way)

Comment

Yeah, if the meshes aren't already in UT3 and you don't have the original files then the only way to get them in there is export the meshes and textures out from UDK and import them to UT3 and reconstruct everything. If you used the same naming and package names and structures then after that you could just select from UDK and past to UT3 and it would grab the right files (as you probably know).

Comment

The other alternative is to pull the meshes and textures directly out of your GPU when running the UDK game using a DirectX ripper. Your success rate there will be variable.

Some meshes and textures can be exported directly from UDK. Materials will need to be reconstructed by hand and may need to be built using alternative nodes.

Comment

Ok thanks for tips, though I have rebuilt half the level again now, and in many ways I'm actually glad that so many things need to be redone; this time I can make them even better than before. However, I'll keep what you said in mind for future reference

Thread can be closed thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X