Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about map edges (Having a background?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about map edges (Having a background?)

Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't come up with a good search query. Well, at least not one that yielded the results I wanted.

I haven't played with level design in years and wanted to try and pick it up. I was messing around in UDK and I'm trying to figure out how to have the map appear as if it goes out in the distance when it really stops far shorter of it.

For example:

The map itself is a building in the middle of a city. I set the collision for the edges of the map so the player doesn't fall off. Beyond the collision for the edge what is the best way to make it appear to be a cityscape in the background? Insert meshes in at a distance and just build some stuff in front of it? Are there anything like backdrops that can be used for that purpose? Right now I just go to the edge and look down and around into nothingness.

EDIT: I just wanted to mention that I'm not talking about the skybox.

If anyone has any tutorials or knows any references I'd appreciate it.

-Louis

You just have to build out the surrounding areas using meshes. The skybox system isn't used in UE3 like it was in UE1 and UE2.

Comment

Appreciate the tip. The last time I tried this out it was all BSP work. I'm having to learn Maya at the same time.

My goal is to not suck and build up some type of portfolio, but holy **** everything is different!

Thanks again, though.

-Louis

Comment

Working...
      X