Blender to UDK texturing troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Ok I have found a solution to my first problem in a way, I have 2 different meshes on a single static mesh, I have the wall itself and then a separate wall trim over the wall itself, the problem now is that when I attach the two meshes, the wall grid takes the same texture as the wall, is there anyway around this because I dont want to have to find both meshes and then line them up perfectly every time I want to use them, I have tried joining them in both blender(ctrl+j) and via the options when importing the static mesh(join all meshes) but neither works, if they are not joined they appear with the correct textures applied already.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm, okay I should just use level 1 then, or 0? The toilet just seems too blocky and I want to attain the high quality models found in AAA titles, is there prehaps a trick or something I could use to lessen this blocky look or must I just deal with it?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ArcOwner View Post
    Its strange whenever I import it at subdivisions set to 0 I get over 5000 verts and it appears in UDK just as it is in Blender, but when I set the modifier to 3 it imports with 271 verts and only a few faces are visible.
    Level 3 subdivision on a 5,000 vertex model would surely explode the vertex count way over the top... even for a toilet. Infact 5000 should be enough unless it's a cinematic loo

I prefer to model stuff at the correct scale without using a scale factor in the exporter. You can tweak Blender's units, grid and camera clipping to get a 1:1 ratio for blender units/unreal units.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    when using blender do a few test meshes to make sure you have the right size/scale (shown in my blender videos)

afaik there is a triangle limit for meshes which is ca 64,000 triangles

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Graylord, I set the import scale to 20 and then scaled it up 100 in UDK, I am clueless as to why the modifier seems to affect the viability.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Its strange whenever I import it at subdivisions set to 0 I get over 5000 verts and it appears in UDK just as it is in Blender, but when I set the modifier to 3 it imports with 271 verts and only a few faces are visible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Also, considering the amount of polies you're talking about, make sure the object isn't very small. The importer or the exporter tends to skip faces that are so small that they usually wouldn't be visible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Check to make sure your normals are correct. UDK doesn't render backfaces without specifying in the material.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the advice Spoof, Ill do that, unfortunately I have a brand new problem that just arose.

I made a toilet for the bathroom I am working on, and when I import it nothing but a few dots can be seen of the toilet, its like its their but 98% of it is invisible. I did have a problem prior to successfully importing it, UDK stated that I had too many vertices (over 65k or something) I went back into blender and must have removed about 6 rings (which couldn't have been more then 100 verts 200 at most) and then when I tried again it worked, except for the whole invisible toilet thing, I'm not trying to show off to a friend or anything so an invisible toilet is really not what I'm going for. I know it is probably a rookie mistake but any indication to what might be causing this would be appreciated, thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Aside from searching for tutorials, I suggest examine the assets that come with UDK. You can view all the static meshes, their uv maps and how they use materials and textures. You'll see a pattern emerge of an 'unwrapped' mesh using a square texture as optimally as possible.

For multiples material effects two or more textures are blended in the material shader, often using another texture (or simply a colour/alpha channel of a texture) to control where each are applied.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm, thanks Spoof,
    my major problem is that I just can figure out how to get two different textures onto a single static mesh, I have a wall that I want to texture and although I did manage to get two textures on them it was in a single UV map that I imported into GIMP and then just used the fill all tool to fill in the faces with the textures where I needed them, thus not allowing me to scale the faces up at all as the textures were only in certain places on the UV map and as you can imagine this resulted in horribly
    stretched looking textures and on top of this when I edited the preset UV/material in UDK I could only apply the normal maps to the entire wall not the different sections I needed.

So I want to try using multiple UV's but whenever I do it just doesn't work so I must be doing something wrong as neither of the two textures show up on the wall when I import it via FBX with the two different textures, the materials both show up but they are just colored materials plugged into the diffuse.

I apologize for the newbie questions and problems as I am sure most of you are way ahead of problems like these, but thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Static meshes don't contain any bones, bone influences or morph targets. Skeletal meshes do. Meshes are just the collective term for any mesh

Static meshes are generally used for scenery, everything from walls, floors, props, projectiles. Skeletal meshes are used for character animation, or vehicles and articulated props, etc.

But they all use the same texturing techniques. You'll have to get used to the idea of UV unwrapping meshes for games, because that's how it's done. Materials in Blender (Max, Maya, etc.) allow alternatives because they aren't just for games, but CG in general, and there are a lot of techniques you can use in these apps that work well for offline rendering, but don't work at all as game assets.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm, at the risk of sounding super novice right now, is there a difference between static meshes and meshes, if so what are the differences and will it make texturing them any different? I was under the impression that they are the same thing.
    Thanks once again for the help

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Arc, not sure what you need for tutorials, most game textures start with the size of 512x512 but it sounds like your doing static meshes so you might want to be a bit more careful with the uv's for the lightmap channel.

can you post some pictures to give us an idea on where the problem is

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm not sure if this is your problem, but make sure your texture coordinates are set to UV in Blender. By default they are set to 'Generated,' which ignores your UVs and does its own thing. Setting it to UV will give you a view of what it will look like in UDK. Also make sure the Projection is set to 'Flat'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X