Light Function Material 'Banding' on some surfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light Function Material 'Banding' on some surfaces

I have created a light function material which creates a dynamic caustic water effect, see the effect on the rocks below. The idea is it will cast caustic water reflections on nearby surfaces, something I observed when I was recently walking the dog, and light was being cast on the nearby trees in cool patterns

[shot]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/thejamsh/FUnction.jpg[/shot]

However you can see that on the wall, the material is banding and stretching. I'm using a pointlight moveable to cast the light function.

The UDN says you can use a 'Texture Cube' to avoid this banding, but is there anyway to use a texture cube with a material as a light function? Or is there a better way to achieve this? Thanks in advance

Have you tried adding that effect to the material for those objects instead? You could use a vertex color to paint the water reflection selectively onto the meshes instead of trying it with lights.

Comment

I assume your are using a texture2d? If you are, the best way is just to use a texturecube texture instead, as that gives you all three axis instead of just one axis, which casts a non-stretched pattern in all directions.

Edit:
      Like Jessie said, if you can lay out the UVs correctly to achieve the effect in the material instead of with a light, it would be much less problematic and much easier to control with vertex paint. Not to mention the performance gains.

Comment

Originally posted by James Ordner View Post
        I assume your are using a texture2d? If you are, the best way is just to use a texturecube texture instead, as that gives you all three axis instead of just one axis, which casts a non-stretched pattern in all directions.

Edit:
        Like Jessie said, if you can lay out the UVs correctly to achieve the effect in the material instead of with a light, it would be much less problematic and much easier to control with vertex paint. Not to mention the performance gains.
        No, I'm using a material. I managed to avoid the banding slightly by rotating the light a little, which makes the banding a little less apparent. Any tutorials around for the vertex painting tips?

Comment

James is correct, you're seeing what you're seeing because you are using a flat texture for your caustic pattern, when in reality you would want to be using a cube map in the material, or at least an alternative projection technique. Unless your light source is dynamic, I would also recommend painting it on using your materials - there should be a fair few vertex painting tutorials out there and it's not hard to set up or use; there are some basic bits of documentation on the UDN too.

Comment

Yeah we mean using the materials of the objects that receive the pattern on them, not the light function material.

This is one of the main resources I used to learn how it works:

http://http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/..._Tutorial.html

Comment

Right I can see how it works now, so effectively I would add my light function material to the rock material, then effectively use vertex colours to mask it out on a per-instance basis?

Are the performance differences really that noticeable?

Comment

The difference in performance between using a dynamic light with a material function, and staticly painting it using vertex colours will be very significant.

Comment

Working...
                X