Trying to make a fracture mesh react like a mario block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to make a fracture mesh react like a mario block

What I mean by this is have the blocks break when touched from the bottom, but still let the player run and jump on them to get around the level. I'm working on a 2D side-scroller that has varying levels, but some things are hidden in the blocks (again, similar to Mario). I have fractured the meshes and put them in place, but when I enable break on actor touch, they obviously break when the player lands on them. I know I'm probably missing a simple solution to this, but I'm not sure what else to try. I attempted making the top half of the fracture mesh destroyable=false but that seems to be overridden when I used break on actor touch. I have thought of a solution but it's very complex and would have to be copied for every block in the game and I really don't want to do it that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I were you I would place a dynamic blocking volume directly over your fracture mesh. Select the fracture mesh and in kismet choose Event -> Actor -> Take Damage using the fracture mesh. Then select the dynamic blocking volume and in Kismet choose New Action-> Actor-> Destroy. Use the blocking volume as the target for the destroy and have the take damage node activate the destroy node.

At this point you can select both the fracture mesh and the blocking volume, right click, and choose "Create Prefab". After you save the prefab in a package it should ask you if you want to save the associated Kismet sequence as well. Choose yes, then choose yes to replace them with the prefab. All you need to do is Alt-Drag the prefab to make a copy of it and it will automatically have the kismet sequence made for you. You can make as many copies of the prefab as you want without having to set up the kismet sequence every time.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot!

Comment

Took a little tweaking to make it work perfectly for my application, but this definitely did the trick. Thank you so much. Once you laid it out, I felt so stupid missing something so simple. haha Thanks a million for your help.

Comment

No worries. I didn't know kismet sequences could be saved in prefabs until over a year of using UDK haha.

Comment

Working...
          X