Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

collision isn't working

Hey all,

I created a model in 3ds max and imported it to udk with a collision mesh and everything, and it blocks players but for some reason it doesn't block weapon fire.
    I checked its properties, its collision is set to BlockAll, so what else is there that I am missing? Why doesn't it block weapons?

First thing I'd suggest is setting it to block weapons and see if it collides with ordnance then.

Comment

It still doesn't happen. Weapon fire still goes through it. I don't know why though, since I did the exact same collision procedure for my other models and they block everything fine, but for some reason this particular model doesn't block everything.

Does it have to do with the shape of the model? It looks like this from a side view: /````` (pretend the apostrophes are straight lines.)

Comment

If I remember correctly, gunfire on a mesh is per poly so it doesn't take the collisions into account (this helps prevent bullet holes and other decals from floating in the air instead of appearing on the object itself.

Are the bullets passing through the collision but still contacting the geometry? If that's the case and you don't want that to happen, a blocking volume set to block gunfire might help. If it passes through the actual geometry of the model, I'm not sure what could be causing that.

Comment

The gunfire is passing straight through the geometry and the collision of the object and flies away into the horizon.

Comment

maby it's a bug in the collision mesh. go back and look for someting that you may have missed.

Comment

look where? In the static mesh editor? Because, in there, the mesh is completely covered in boxes. Granted, the boxes are multicolored, and I have no idea what that means, but the mesh is still covered. I can't think of what I missed. In 3ds max, I created a UCX_Box_002 that completely covers the mesh.

Comment

You say it completely covers the mesh? What do you mean I'm not that experienced in collision but when I create it in max I simply clone the object and the name the clone with ucx. Meaning when you look at my object you only see one mesh In max because they fit together Exact same size of geometry I am not sure if this helps or if any issues come up if your collision box is larger then the mesh?

Comment

Originally posted by stephan360 View Post
                  You say it completely covers the mesh? What do you mean I'm not that experienced in collision but when I create it in max I simply clone the object and the name the clone with ucx. Meaning when you look at my object you only see one mesh In max because they fit together Exact same size of geometry I am not sure if this helps or if any issues come up if your collision box is larger then the mesh?
                  You use duplicates of the object? That's probably not a good idea because then you have way more polys than needed to create collision. You might as well save a step if that's how you do it and turn on per poly collision for your meshes.

Comment

[QUOTE=JessieG;30722179]You use duplicates of the object? That's probably not a good idea because then you have way more polys than needed to create collision. You might as well save a step if that's how you do it and turn on per poly collision.

Thanks for the heads up will keep it in mind. Our enviroment artist does collision so when I say I do this it is a temporary thing just to test play meshes. Since I'm not a modeler I instance the object in max and name one as collision. A example use to this is a floor of a building I want to Import to run around the map just to get a feel for the scale and flow. I don't want to spend a lot of time setting things up since it will not be final or even saved this way when I exit udk. I want to check this increase in polys you talk about because I don't think I have ever noticed.

Comment

My collision box is slightly larger than the mesh itself but that's what I did for some of my other meshes and they turned out just fine, so what am I missing?

Comment

If you don't mind doing it all from within udk I would just do it tht way instead of beating your head against the desk. You can do a collision hull or blocking volume.

Comment

I can create collision straight from within udk? How do I put collision hulls to use?

Comment

You can either import a static mesh without collision and double click it in the content browser and click "Collision" in the top menu of the statics mesh editor to add collision or put the builder brush around the mesh when it's in the scene and from the list of volumes choose "blocking volume".

Comment

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...-Builder-Brush

Comment

Working...
                              X