Shadows disappear after building lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadows disappear after building lighting

Hey, I've been working with modeling in 3ds Max and Zbrush for a little while, but just started to use UDK. I'm making a simple map, using the UTGame settings to run around in it. Before i build lighting the shadows look the way I want them, after building it seems like the light is diffused and no longer casts the diamond pattern from the window. Can anyone help me fix this?

One of two things is probably happening. Either you don't have a high enough lightmap resolution for the meshes that the shadow is being castes on, or you're using the May 2012 version and the window is using a masked material which is bugged in that version and won't cast shadows.

Comment

It was the lightmap resolution. Thanks! Building the lighting took longer than usual though, only 5 min, but thats almost tripple what it was. Is this a normal amount of time? I have a lightmass importance volume set up in the area.

Comment

Yes, increasing the lightmap resolution will increase rendering time--5 minutes is nothing. The default resolution of 32 is way too low so increasing it will have a pretty big effect on your lighting build time.

Comment

Yeah 5 minutes is perfectly fine. Entire completed levels could take hours and hours. Once you have an entire level together building lights overnight while you sleep may become standard haha.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate it. I finished working through a few tutorials and got used to hitting build all after I add something new. Now that im building my own level anything longer than a few minutes feels painfully long. haha.

Comment

Working...
            X