Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grid-Aligned Circular/Cylindrical Maps?

Hey all,

I'm not new to UDK or Unreal, but I am a hobbyist who comes and goes when I have time for a hobby. So, my question may be simple. Basically, how do I create a circular walk-way that is grid aligned? For anyone who knows Star Trek, I'm attempting to recreate some of DS9 for funzies in the UDK editor. For anyone who doesn't, here's a picture of the area: http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...-Promenade.jpg

The whole area is a big circle, so I tried creating the circular floor and walls by using a really big cylinder. Problem is, I couldn't get any of the edges to neatly intersect the grid. This is a big problem with trying to create areas off the side of the circle. I tried it with square segments, didn't work out. How do I create a circular area like this and get the edges to be grid-aligned? My OCD is killing me on this one! Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Given the reliance on curves, you'd want to build a number of assets externally. These would likely fit neatly onto a grid (i.e 90 degree sections).

Comment

I had imagined that a good deal of it would be static meshes that I'd build in Max. However, I had planned to build the basic outline for the map in brushes. IE the floor and basic wall structure would be brushes with static meshes on top. Is this a bad way to go about it?

Comment

Originally posted by FlapJack View Post
        I had imagined that a good deal of it would be static meshes that I'd build in Max. However, I had planned to build the basic outline for the map in brushes. IE the floor and basic wall structure would be brushes with static meshes on top. Is this a bad way to go about it?
        You generally only want to use brushes to block out a level to test, but slowly replace everything with Static meshes.

Comment

So in this case where I want a circular walkway, should I just use a huge cube brush as my floor and build static mesh walls in large 90 degree increments that fit on the grid?

Comment

For the circular walkway I'd start with a hollow cylinder additive and subtractive to get an interior space that loops around then replace those with static meshes. I think you'll get a better feel faster.

Comment

But the edges won't be on the grid! > The problem becomes when I want to build a walkway off of the main circular area, like in this picture:

Comment

Working...
              X