Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting material from 3DSMax 2013 to UDK May2012

hello,
    I made a level in 3DSMax 2013 which includes something like 60 diffrent materials.
    I export it in FBX 2012 format and import it into UDK May 2012.
    Everytime i import my FBX file the original mesh's materials are converted into solid materials in UDK, incase the material in Max is solid diffuse, or converted to diffuse TGA texture2D incase the material in Max is TGA diffuse texture materials.

I dont know what to do and i will appriciate your help.

thanks a lot!

You can't. Strickly speaking.
    You can make the FBX fire reimport Texture files for you, but that's all there is to it.
    The max material isn't used, it just gets the file locations.

What you have to do is import the textures and setup a material in UDK.

If you have 60 different materials to setup at once, you've probbably gone wrong somewhere in your workflow.

Comment

I have done this before, Max and UDK can communicate with each other, when the material's name in Max is identical in UDK the programs know how to convert the Max material to the same UDK material i have made earlier.
      My problem is that I did it once in one of my objects in the scene and it works but when I try to do it with another objects the problem I told you before comes again.
      Do you know this problem?

Comment

Are your textures powers of two in size and a format that is compatible with UDK? (like targas)

Comment

yes all of them

Comment

It is most definitely possible. You might want to read this http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXMaterialPipeline.html

You will have to re-name the materials in 3ds material editor and the corresponding map/sub material to match. The submaterial just needs _skin01, 02 at the end.

Also having 60 odd materials is fine if youve set up an entire scene in 3ds max containing lots of separate meshes. But for just the one model its usually just the one material, depends how it modelled/mapped.

Word of warning however. Automatically importing materials will import the textures used in each material and hook them up to the diffuse, emissive, normal nodes and whatever, but only in the most simple way. i.e. only the texture nodes, no power, multiply or anything like that, so it might not end up exactly as you see it in 3dsmax.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
            X