Importing *normal* images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing *normal* images?

I want to import some images that will not be used for textures (like, they won't be the ground, the wall, etc...

I am just wanting to add photos into the game to add more of a realistic effect. How would I go about doing this?

The image's size (this one in particular, at least) is 198x255. I don't want to resize it to 128x128 because that would make it really awkward.

I guess my question is, is there a way to import an image file that is not a power of 2 into UDK?

No, it doesn't support non power of 2 textures.

And what do you mean by using photos in a game but not for texures? There's not really any other way to use them

Comment

Well, I guess it would technically be a texture. But when I speak of a non-texture, I mean one that isn't used for flooring, walls, or the roof, etc...

I mean like, you know a picture in real life? How there is the picture frame, and then the actual picture that is obviously not a power of 2? Yea. That.

I have a picture I want to place in the game in only one spot, and it will be used as if it was a real picture.

Might as well show the picture:

I want that to be a normal picture on a wall. I can't import it into UDK because it is a non-power of 2. Would I have to make it in a separate program (like 3Ds Max) and texturize it there, and then import it into UDK?

Comment

A normal picture on the wall is still a texture in a video game. BTW Normal means something completely different in a game.

Anyways, you don't need a texture to be a specific size since all textures are textured as squares anyways. You just need to have your mesh be the right shape and it will be fit to the mesh.

Look up UVW Mapping

Comment

Yeah, I know it would be a texture, I just didn't know how to differentiate between a texture for walls, floors, etc... and for something like this haha.

I'll look up UVW mapping. Thanks

Comment

I currently textured some skeletal meshes and imported some normal maps, the textures ( as in colors of the arms and stuff like are visible in game) the normal map is also visible but the violet, yellow colour is not seen as it blends with your texture, use a multiply box and in the A node connect your texture, and in the B node connect your normal map, i can't show you a pic of how i have done it in UDK as i don't have UDK in this pc, but i'll try to post a pic here tomorrow if i can, in the meantime take a look at how epic has done their samaritan character, even though this is a directx11 example and you should'nt follow it all if you do not use directx11, but you can see how they placed their maps as in normal, diffuse and other maps, i followed their setup to make my own setup work, also yes only powers of 2 can be imported in UDK

Comment

Originally posted by reinrag View Post
              I currently textured some skeletal meshes and imported some normal maps, the textures ( as in colors of the arms and stuff like are visible in game) the normal map is also visible but the violet, yellow colour is not seen as it blends with your texture, use a multiply box and in the A node connect your texture, and in the B node connect your normal map, i can't show you a pic of how i have done it in UDK as i don't have UDK in this pc, but i'll try to post a pic here tomorrow if i can, in the meantime take a look at how epic has done their samaritan character, even though this is a directx11 example and you should'nt follow it all if you do not use directx11, but you can see how they placed their maps as in normal, diffuse and other maps, i followed their setup to make my own setup work, also yes only powers of 2 can be imported in UDK
              Yea, I only have DirectX 9, at least in UDK :P My Direct X maxes out at 10.1 haha

Comment

Originally posted by reinrag View Post
                He's not talking about normal maps. He used the term "normal" to stand for images as textures that aren't a power of 2.

Comment

Alright well if he wasn't talking about normal maps, there's no need that i post my pic, thanks Jessie for letting me know

Comment

Working...
                  X