Maya 2012 ASE ActorX exporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maya 2012 ASE ActorX exporter

I still love Unreal 2004. I built a level in UDK, but I would love to build it for 2004. However, I have Maya 2012, and the ActorX plugin hasn't been updated from 2011. All versions of it are shipped with UDK, so I was wondering if the UDK creaters were the writers of the plugin, and if they have the plugin writen yet for 64 bit. Right now, I am exporting .obj out of Maya into Blender. Then exporting .ase from Blender. It is a pain, especially because all of my meshes are built in Maya, plus I can't seem to export the collision data AT ALL. I can only export 1 thing at a time. Please Help!

With max and maya you must use the FBX Plugin now http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXPipeline.html

Comment

Originally posted by MrRipGames View Post
      With max and maya you must use the FBX Plugin now http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXPipeline.html
      Not true anymore. If you prefer actorX, you can use this:

http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,1221.0.html

There's two things actorX has over the FBX pipeline which I think is the reason people still want to use it: You can export multiple animations at the same time from a single file instead of using multiple FBX files, and the collision mesh for static objects doesn't need to be separated into multiple objects like they do for FBX. (UCX_Collision_01, UCX_Collision_02, etc.) I think I may stay with FBX for static meshes, but for animations having ActorX in newer versions of Maya is pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by JessieG View Post
        collision mesh for static objects doesn't need to be separated into multiple objects like they do for FBX. (UCX_Collision_01, UCX_Collision_02, etc.)
        You don't have to make separated collision object for a single static mesh. You can make one collider object in Maya for even very complex static meshes, no problem.
        Of course for very complex meshes you want to create simple shaped blocking volumes in Unreal instead, saves a ton of memory.

Comment

JessieG......THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I've been waiting 6 months for that plugin. Works perfectly. I can't thank you and Gildor enough!

Comment

Ok, now I have a stupid question. Out of the 50 meshes that I have built, 5 of them are acting stupid and I can't seem to fix it. I imported it into UT2004 editor. Looks great, collision shows up and looks right, start level and the mesh shows up and looks right, I can stand on it and it reacts fine. The first mesh I noticed the problem with is a "ruins" that is basically a box that has stairs to get up on top of the box, and then stairs going down into the center of the box. Now I understand that there are positive and negative "sides" of a mesh, and that you get problems if you have an "open hole" to show the negative side. I have made sure that my "box" is closed, but for some reason, when I run down the stairs into the center of the box, the walls become see through and I can walk through some of them. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Comment

Yeah your normals may be flipped. Select those faces and in maya reverse the normals. Though I don't think that should cause the collision to not work properly.

Comment

Once again, thank you for your help. I found a video to show me how to flip the normals, and it worked great.

Comment

Working...
                X