simple question - stupid me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

simple question - stupid me

Ok here goes, I'm experienced using the Radiant series of editors and although I could make them in that, export obj and import meshes this would mean either a huge sum of small meshes being imported or one large (which would be terrible for game performance). The only issue I have with the editor is something I assume would be fairly simple to resolve but I've spent the past 6hrs banging my head account a wall.

In radiant we have the various viewpoints but with a "snap to grid" effect, so I select 2-4-8-16-32-64 etc and the shape will also fit onto the grid nicely on those lines, I can scale left by dragging just left.

With the UDK editor regardless of whether I set "snap to grid" to 2-4-8 etc it need sits on the line properly, so when I scale a brush using either Non-Uniform scaling or Uniform scaling it doesnt sit on the lines, if I expand a shape left along the z axis it gets larger but left & right of the z axis (which I could deal with) but it never slots onto the lines so I cant rescale several brushes to line up perfectly. This leaves little gaps/overlaps which end up distorting the way textures etc should appear.

Is there a solution to this im missing as all 3 of the bottom right options are ticked. This seems to be something I would consider a basic function as how else (apart from zooming in several times each scale) would I be able to get things to sit properly. I don't just want 500 meshes overlapping everywhere and I dont just want to use the prebuilt shapes.

Any help or a link to a tutorial of some form would be appreciated. This is pretty much the only issue I have with the editor itself everything else I've found so far is better than the old Radiant.

The button to the right of the camera in your tools is Geometry mode. If you turn that on, you can select the verts of one side of a brush and move them and they'll snap to the grid that way.

Comment

Best thing is to not use the scale tool with the brushes. Because once you go off the grid you can never return. Best thing to to for scaling is to just move the faces / edges / verts of the brushes so they stay snapped. The only way I know of to get something back on the grid lines is to eyeball it by turning off snapping and zooming in really close to the edge you're move and the grid. Will probably take a while.

A lot of folks don't use the BSP brushes in UDK anymore because they have issues. A lot of the tools in the Geometry mode don't work well. If you use them you could end up with missing faces or collision on your BSP. Most people use static mesh blocks and build block worlds from that. I still use BSP for block outs, but I've learned the hard way that I need to be really careful.

Comment

Thanks for the responses I knew it was bound to be in there somewhere all the tutorials were pointing me to the bottom right which led me astray.

In regard to using the BSP Brushes this is primarily going to be used to block out my maps for a generic play test to get the feel of the environment and refine the game-play flow. I'd gradually go through replacing the majority with Static Meshes to give it the extra kick but I'd rather avoid doing static meshes for the very core pieces that don't have much flare to them.

One thing I remember from back in the day (well 6years ago or so lol) was making my entire levels on paper in grid layout and moving that over to the editor without any detail, just play testing with plane walls etc It allows me to save a huge amount of time as I could spot issues with the game-play flow prior to any in depth work. I'm extremely thankful this will allow me to do that again

Thankyou both for your advice & assistance hopefully this weekend will now prove very productive for me.

Comment

Originally posted by charliethetall View Post
          Because once you go off the grid you can never return.
          Not true. You can select verts, right click, and go to Transform > Snap Vertices to Grid, then align them again.

Comment

Working...
          X