Foliage causing massive lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foliage causing massive lag

I am currently in an isometric camera view (top down on my character).

If I use foliage to test paint some grass on the ground, I start getting frame rate drops from 80 to 30-40 and major twitches in editor mode.

If I use the same amount or MORE of regular static meshes of that same grass copy pasted over and over, it causes no lag.

Any idea?

Foliage is very performance intensive, you'll have to do some sacrifices if you want to use a lot of it.

At least make sure it's not very dense and that the pop-in distance isn't too far away (can't remember what it is specifically called at the moment).

Comment

For to use foliage choose trees from speedtree compileds, they are very otmized for udk, dont use foliage by fbx or others

Comment

Seriously read up as much as you can on lod and massive lod. You can implement speedtree-like performance saving means,like having multiple meshes be replaced by a single billboard that always faces the camera at a distance. Lots of foliage CAN work, just not "out if the box".

Comment

It all depends on the poly count of the grass model to begin with. You want your model to be 100 tris or less to use it well. Take a look at my tutorial on this on my website or youtube page...

Comment

Working...
          X