Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trigger toggling a light. Quick way to apply to other trigger/light pairs?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Trigger toggling a light. Quick way to apply to other trigger/light pairs?

    So I've got myself a basic "lightswitch" setup, where if a player activates a trigger, the light is toggled. This is all fine and dandy, except for the fact that in the building I've modeled, I've got about 10 trigger/light pairs (one per room, basically). Now, 10 isn't that much, so it would of course be possible for me to just manually add every trigger_touch and pointlight to Kismet, and manually add a toggle for each pair, but I'm guessing there is a faster way...

    Can anyone help me out?

    Many thanks,

    Will

    #2
    That's pretty much how you have to do it. I think (I'm not 100 percent sure) that you can link all the lights to that one matinee sequence as well as linking all the trigger touch events to it as well. That's probably the fastest way.

    Comment


      #3
      Hi Jessie, thanks for the quick response.

      If I understand you correctly - linking all the triggers/lights to a single toggle - wouldn't that just mean as soon as a player touches a single trigger, all the lights will be turned on or off?

      As I said, because my setup is quite simple (only 10 rooms) it doesn't really matter if I have to do it the long way. But I'd be surprised if there isn't an easier way to do it than just manually adding everything. What if someone had an office building with 500 different rooms in it, each with their own lightswitch? I'd take them a month just to setup the Kismet nodes! :S

      Comment


        #4
        Ah ok i thought you were using matinee for some reason haha. Just alt drag your trigger to make duplicates where needed, use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy and paste nine more toggles, then add the lights and trigger events. There's no faster way to do it. The joys of game design. Slow and steady. =D haha. Teams of people can set up 500 triggers quickly, but if you work alone it's just something you have to deal with.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by JessieG View Post
          There's no faster way to do it. The joys of game design. Slow and steady. =D haha.
          Heh, fair enough. Thanks

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by JessieG View Post
            Ah ok i thought you were using matinee for some reason haha. Just alt drag your trigger to make duplicates where needed, use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy and paste nine more toggles, then add the lights and trigger events. There's no faster way to do it. The joys of game design. Slow and steady. =D haha. Teams of people can set up 500 triggers quickly, but if you work alone it's just something you have to deal with.
            Not true. If you make your trigger and light into a prefab, it will prompt to include the kismet associated with them in the prefab. This is super-useful for doors too. You just add prefabs of your trigger and light and convert them back into separate actors by right-clicking them if you need to move them separately.

            Comment


              #7
              Awesome, thanks.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by skwisdemon666 View Post
                Not true. If you make your trigger and light into a prefab, it will prompt to include the kismet associated with them in the prefab. This is super-useful for doors too. You just add prefabs of your trigger and light and convert them back into separate actors by right-clicking them if you need to move them separately.
                Wouldn't that mean all the lights have to be the exact same distance from the switch then? So say he makes a prefab of the trigger, light switch, and light in a small room, then wants to use it in a larger room where the light is higher up and farther from the switch, wouldn't the light always be the same distance from the switch since its a prefab?

                Comment


                  #9
                  No, you can basically edit each instance of a prefab to have certain unique properties. I made a couple of Monster Generators that I scaled differently using this. I'll dig up the UDN docs.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Using...iting a Prefab

                    By default, when you click on any Actor within a Prefab instance it selects the whole instance. This is to make working with prefabs easier, as you can then move them around as one unit. However, you sometimes want to edit a particular Actor within a Prefab. To do this, you will need to first unlock prefabs from selection. This is done by opening the View menu and unchecking the "Lock Prefabs from Selection". From there you can select the individual actors that belong to that Prefab.
                    It will only update the master and propagate changes if you tell it to:

                    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Using...ating a Prefab


                    I really need to read up on the new Archetype functions as I've been meaning to use Prefabs much more myself.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by joshua.fontany View Post
                      http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Using...iting a Prefab



                      It will only update the master and propagate changes if you tell it to:

                      http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Using...ating a Prefab


                      I really need to read up on the new Archetype functions as I've been meaning to use Prefabs much more myself.
                      This. Is. Awesome. Thanks so much!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Thanks for insight Joshua! I didn't know that. Then yeah, in this case that is definitely the easiest way to do this then haha.

                        Definitely have to try this out on my next project since I plan on having a few kismet setups that ate repeated though out the map.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X