Change to right handed coordinates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    There is no 'standard' in coordinate systems; even OpenGL and DirectX differ in that one is left handed and the other right handed - there are six possible different coordinate systems, so you just have to get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you, now I know.
    After an hour of recalculation and rethinking I think unreal-coordinates is much better than I first thought.
    The degrees goes clockwise and start from the top axis. The z is up and down so it's the same as 3ds max.
    The formulas for arc-tan is just reversed, how to add 180 or sub 180 etc. But it doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Mathematics don't have the X and Y coordinates switched. The only confusion is over whether Y is up or Z is up, X is always horizontal.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You can't change that. If you want to change it for code reasons, it still doesn't make sense that it would make things harder for you and you just need to adapt. If its because of modeling, you can still do all your modeling in your 3D app with Y as the up axis, just set Z to the up axis in your export settings.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, it's just hard to visualize vectors within this sort of system compared to "default"-mathematical coordinates (books and internet).
    I think I can rethink this idea.
    But I would like to know if there is any formulas or so that also needs to change? Or is all the same?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    that wouldn't make sense anyways

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You can't change it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, now the coordinate system is:
    + x
    ^
    |
    |
    ------> + y

But I would rather have this:
    + y
    ^
    |
    |
    ------> + x

..Just inverting the y and x.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What do you mean right handed? It's a mathematically correct system that isn't left or right hand specific...

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Change to right handed coordinates?

Change to right handed coordinates?

Hi,
    Maybe a bit of a driveby question but..
    Can I change the unreal coordinate system to right handed, and if so, how?
    Thanks twice!
Working...
X