Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Shadow Problem on BSP and Terrain

Hi everybody;

We are building a level for our game and we have a strange problem, unable to find solution for. As you can see in the following picture, shadow casted on BSP and terrain from a dominant directional light is not correct.

Can You Solve the problem?

Thanks in advance
    :-)

I too had this issue with landscape and dont know a proper way to cast shadow. However, try this...Open Landscape properties (Select landscape and press F4) ---> Lighting tab ---> set Static Lightning Resolution to 4 or 6 or 8. I tried this and it improved the quality but not much.

Also try increasing the "Whole Scene Dynamic Shadow Cascades" in "Cascaded Shadow Maps" section to a value of 8 or 10. Remember it will increase lighting build.

Comment

For the terrain increase the lightmap resolution like ryanjon said, 4 is the default value so you could start with 8 or 16.
      For the BSP part, select the surfaces and open its properties (F5), there's a lighting resolution option. Decrease the value (it's actually not the lightmap resolution but a texel ratio that's why lower values will result in better shadows) until you are happy with the result.

Keep in mind both will increase the light rebuild time significantly as well as the lightmap vram usuage.

Originally posted by ryanjon2040 View Post
      Also try increasing the "Whole Scene Dynamic Shadow Cascades" in "Cascaded Shadow Maps" section to a value of 8 or 10. Remember it will increase lighting build.
      Bad idea, 5-6 cascaded shadow map splits have already a performance impact. Also this is only relevant if it's a DDLmoveable and if the shadows are dynamic.

Comment

Thanks a lot ryanjon2040 and mAlkAv!An. Your solution worked! You got me out of it! :-)

Again thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X