Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music Copyright question

Hello,
    i am still developing my game and i will be starting my first cinematic for my first level, however i will be using a soundtrack i bought the CD myself, i would like to know, should i first contact the singer/label of the singer to know if he agrees that i place his music in my UDK level, or can i do it without any authorisation ?

You need to "license" that music using a contract, specially if its registered with Buma/Publishing rights etc. contacting the distribution or artist is a must.

Comment

how do you suggest i do that, i did not find that the music has a publish rights or anything it isn't famous at all anyway, i checked the artist's website and there isn't any contact me he isn't alot famous he's a south african musician, i can try to contact his label though, but anyway what should i do exactly so that i avoid any copyrights problem ?

Comment

You have to contact the artist, label or distribution,
        Even if the work is not well known, the artist could and probably is registered along with all his work,
        If you were to proceed with out any consent, he could sue.

If you need a contract for licensing, PM me mate.

Comment

Originally posted by 1rate View Post
          You have to contact the artist, label or distribution,
          Even if the work is not well known, the artist could and probably is registered along with all his work,
          If you were to proceed with out any consent, he could sue.

If you need a contract for licensing, PM me mate.
          Cheers mate just sent you a PM

Comment

I will PM you 2 to choose from, I use them for my labels & artists.
            You will of course need to change up a few things, namely advance payments and the % of the net profits etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 1rate View Post
              I will PM you 2 to choose from, I use them for my labels & artists.
              You will of course need to change up a few things, namely advance payments and the % of the net profits etc.
              alright i will reply back to you when i get your PM

Comment

Originally posted by yahooanswers View Post
                alright i will reply back to you when i get your PM
                Done mate, PM me if you need more help.

Comment

Look at the CD and see who the license underwriter is. BMI, ASCAP, etc. If one of those is listed that is who you will get the permission from. If it is not listed you will want to contact The Harry Fox Agency

http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

They are the majority mechanical licensing group in the country. We used to use them a lot when I was in High School as our teacher always wanted us to do it the right way. Have a few backup songs ready, as we found out, some songs are just untouchable.

http://www.harryfox.com/public/DoIne...calLicense.jsp

Here is a quick, do I need a license type article.

Comment

Originally posted by raymondlee306 View Post
                    Look at the CD and see who the license underwriter is. BMI, ASCAP, etc. If one of those is listed that is who you will get the permission from. If it is not listed you will want to contact The Harry Fox Agency

http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

They are the majority mechanical licensing group in the country. We used to use them a lot when I was in High School as our teacher always wanted us to do it the right way. Have a few backup songs ready, as we found out, some songs are just untouchable.

http://www.harryfox.com/public/DoIne...calLicense.jsp

Here is a quick, do I need a license type article.
                    i did not find any BMI so i 'll contact the harry fox thanks for helping, both you and especially 1rate

Comment

I think i found the label i think it's hollywood records

Comment

the label will hold the copyright for the music.
                        not the artist or distribution.
                        the label will also have some kind of contract for you to sign if they agree.

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
                          the label will hold the copyright for the music.
                          not the artist or distribution.
                          the label will also have some kind of contract for you to sign if they agree.
                          Cheers tegleg rate1 explained me that too, so i will follow both your advice and send an email to hollywood records,
                          thanks everyone for helping me,

Comment

Working...
                          X