Text file elevation maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Text file elevation maps

Hello every one. I'm a bit new when it comes to game engines, so I might ask a few dumb questions. I read through a few articles but couldn't find much on text height maps. See, I'm dealing with real elevation and I want to simulate it as perfectly as I can. obviously a greyscale map just won't cut it for the maps I have in mind. Using a utility called PDS IMG Reader, I can convert data from the LOLA (lunar orbiter laser altimiter) to either greyscale height maps or .txt files. the file I am using is 5m/pixel. Nasa has an intrestring way of storing its files and took some searching on how to use them. So now I have a txt file thats 800+MB and am looking for a way to use it. Like I said, I am pretty new to game engines, so please try to tolerate a few questions.

You can't use text files, Landscape and Terrain uses Grayscale heightmaps.

Comment

well, you see the text file is much, much more accurate then a grey scale. On a scale of one to ten, what would be the difficulty of making a plug in to take the .txt?

Comment

you can use t3d format
        it's pretty much text file

so if you have some coding skills you can make your simple converter tool

Comment

Heightmaps needs to be image files, t3d is not an image format.

Comment

yes, but you can export/import terrain data as T3D

Comment

Then he is better of trying to write to a .ASE file, which is in ASCII format.

T3D is an ancient, decrepit format that probably doesn't even work with UDK anymore.

Comment

Working...
              X