Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lighting differences on static and skelital meshes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lighting differences on static and skelital meshes?

hello

why would static and skelital meshes look different using the same material?
    eres a pic, the doors (static) appear darker than the body (skelital)
    they have a second uv channel for lighting.
    [SHOT]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee69/teglegrecords/DDcarLighting.jpg[/SHOT]

any ideas?
    thanks
    Attached Files

I don't have a proper solution here, but skeletal meshes are per default dynamic and static meshes are static. Unreal does handle lighting different for dynamic and static objects.

Maybe this can help you: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Devel...rLighting.html

Comment

still battling with this, tried all sorts and no difference, the shadow is always black on the static mesh component (door and wheels)
      heres another pic

anyone have any idea how to fix this?
      cheers

Comment

If the mesh is supposed to be dynamic, try /enablingdisabling light environment on it, as well as precomputed shadows. I have stumbled upon same issue but it was with an actor class using a mesh, is it same in your case?

Comment

Why exactly do you have static doors attached to a rigged car body? Why not just make the doors part of the rigged model so the lighting will be evenly distributed? The lights will probably never look quite right unless you convert the doors to movers (MAYBE).

Static meshes get shadows baked onto them with lightmass, but skeletal meshes do not get lights baked into them because they're meant to move and react to dynamic light.

Comment

Skeletal by default uses dynamic light channel and static uses static light channel. You can force either to use the other.

Comment

sounds good taz
              how do i force dynamic light channel on a static mesh?

Comment

Try here (properties of your mesh)
                [SHOT]http://screencast.com/t/jn7T3UYRXaD[/SHOT]

Comment

no that didnt do anything

Comment

Tearl's image link is broken on my end so I don't know what he suggested but under Static Mesh Actor Properties window, check off "Use Precomputed Shadows" as well as "Static" under Lighting Channels section. Then check on the "Dynamic". Basically make every option related to lighting in Static Mesh Actor Properties same as your Skeletal mesh.

Comment

Set the staticmesh component's lightenvironment to the same as your vehicle, assuming you have it as a component (you probably should). Iirc, shadow parenting should help too.

Comment

the lighting settings are the same on both StaticMeshComponent and SkelitalMeshComponent

static

skelital

oh CastStatic Shadows is off on the static just to test, no difference
                        guess im going to have to have them all as skelital...
                        Attached Files

Comment

NOT your defprop settings, what i said was 'set the smc lightenvironment to your vehicle's main lightenvironment'
                          Something like
                          DoorComp.Mesh.SetLightEnvironment(MyOwnersLightEnv ironment);
                          DoorComp.Mesh.SetShadowParent(MyOwnersMesh); in postbeginplay/postinitanimtree
                          After that, then worry about the defprop buseprecomputedshadows = false etc- the more you poke in defprops before doing that, the further you'll take the properties fromwhere they should be in your random flailing around.
                          If you dont do this, even using separate skeletal meshes will lead to different lighting on the parts to the body as different pivot locations and bounds are used for each piece's lighenv calcs...

Comment

yeeeeeeessss!
                            thank you Jetfire

Comment

Working...
                            X