Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

landscape error please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

landscape error please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so i made a map with a water plane and a sky dome nothing hard so then i added a landscape at 256x256 so it works but it was black i applied material to it but still was black then i made a new layer and added one of my material names and all that but when i started to paint....it was still black but when i change it to unlit you can see the materials i painted but when i switch back it turns black

i really need help for this one .....i've done so much stuuf with terrain and landscape and this has never happened to me before

and when i save it with the landscape in it then reopen it...it says that it has no layerinfo available then it says need to add layerinfos properly

Comment

The layerInfo has to do with the materials you are using on your landscape. (More detailed info at http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeEditing.html). If you open the Landscape tool and scroll down to the bottom you will see a section called Target Layer with a default Edit Mode of None.

Turn on "Edit" instead by clicking in the empty circle beside it and a tool rollout will expand.

Where it says Layer Name give a name to the layer. In my case I'm only using one material for the landscape so I've named it Diffuse. You would probably want to name it according to the default material so Dirt or Rock would make sense. The Hardness specifies how strong the influence this material has when blending with another layer. The NoBlend option is if you don't want the material to blend with other materials and you want hard edges. If you use a hardness of 1.0 and check NoBlend then the layer will be applied to the entire landscape and will not blend with other layers.
      If you set hardness to 0.5 and uncheck NoBlend then your layer will be able to blend with other layers and it will not necessarily be applied to every part of the landscape. Once you have configured your layer settings (I recommend the defaults) click on the + symbol and it will create the new layer.
      As soon as you have one layer created, if you save the map and re-load it, you will notice those errors have disappeared. You'll need to create a new layer for every material that you want to paint on the world. IE Grass, Rock, Sand, Dirt etc. and the blending strength will determine how strong they blend with other layers. 1.0 will be very sharp and not typically used. 0.5 means it blends 50% with whatever other layer you're painting on which is ideal. Sometimes however you may only want to blend by a small amount such as 0.25 (25%) for transitions... Maybe you have a Sand material layer and a grass material layer and you want to also have a SandTransition so that it transitions nicely between the two. Then you could use 0.25 but this setting is a hard value meaning that every time you paint with that layer it will blend by 0.25. You can also adjust the blend strength using layer smoothing which again is more ideal because there's more room for adjustments.

Comment

ALso forgot to point out the obvious, if you can see the materials in Unlit and can't see them in Lit mode, then chances are you don't have a light actor in the scene. Add a dominant directional light and rebuild lighting and it should fix your problem.

Comment

alright thanks man

Comment

Working...
          X