Modeling a city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modeling a city

So I plan to design a city level in UDK, and one thing that really has me stomped is how to model out the walkways and roads?
    Are they textures painted on? Or are they meshes modelled? If they were meshes, I still don't understand..?

Please refer to image, I'm talkign about the little ledge part..

I don't understand what's not to understand?

If you want to have something semi-high detailed, do it by a model, just simply do a simple extrusion?

Comment

Originally posted by Graylord View Post
      I don't understand what's not to understand?

If you want to have something semi-high detailed, do it by a model, just simply do a simple extrusion?
      But would I model the entire out in Maya? Or would the sidewalks be extruded planes placed in the level?

Comment

It really depends on what you're going for, if for instance you want to have each sidewalk slightly different then the best thing to do it, is to fully model it in Maya.
        If you want all sidewalks to be the same then I suggest a mode modular approach in which you model just a 64x64 or 128x128 piece of sidewalk which you could place and duplicate around your scene.

Anyway, explain yourself better, perhaps even use bullet points, what do you want do make exactly, how would you start, what assets are you planning to model, are you planning on making every building unique or are you planning on using several buildings all around the city, are you going for a more natural looking city or are you going for a more industrial looking type of city?

If you're going for a more natural looking city, I would also suggest to look at Houdini.

Comment

Curbs and sidewalks: Create spline for the curbs, loft curb shape along spline. Use the same spline to loft the shape for the sidewalk. In most cases, 1 shape can define both curb and sidewalk. Use 1 texture tiled along the length. Make cuts and adjust the model as needed for specific areas (like crosswalk ramps, gutters, etc.). Modular-ize the corners (seperate from straight pieces).

Comment

Working...
          X