New to UDK - need pointers for working with 3dsmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to UDK - need pointers for working with 3dsmax

Hi, I'm new to UDK, have found the 3dbuzz tutorials but can't find much about importing meshes and working with them.

Is there a standard resource for tutorials concerning the creation, importing and management of externally built meshes? Ideally in 3dsmax?

I just want to built architectural walk-throughs so fairly basic stuff - very little interaction.

Many thanks

http://www.3dmotive.com/training/fre...k/?follow=true

Here ya go. This seems ideal ^_^.

Comment

Hmm, thanks but that's not quite what I had in mind. That's prop creation but I want to create a whole environment in 3dsmax and bring it into udk, and integrate it with BSP etc.

Comment

Originally posted by stayinwonderland View Post
        Hmm, thanks but that's not quite what I had in mind. That's prop creation but I want to create a whole environment in 3dsmax and bring it into udk, and integrate it with BSP etc.
        That's how you're supposed to import your assets, including buildings in the environment. You can't import a whole scene you made in 3DS Max all at once. You have to import all your meshes and rebuild everything in UDK.

Comment

Ok, I guess that makes sense. Do you think it's therefore common to build a fairly inorganic scene using BSP brushes then? with just a few organic meshes imported?

Comment

Hmm If you have the ability to create the assets I would go with creating stuff in 3DS Max and only use BSP brushes to plan and populate your level, I always try not to use BSP brushes in a final build though and If I do they are usually converted into collision boxes.

Comment

Ok. I guess my next question then is how I would bring it from max to udk. Can you collapse a whole bunch of meshes into one and assign some kind of multi/sub object that udk can use? Or does udk have the ability to recognise material IDs? Or will it have to be brought in wall by wall... or can udk just assign a material to a face? (haven't worked with materials in udk yet).

Comment

UDK has the ability to recognise Material IDs, my knowledge is a little fuzzy though as it's been while since I've done asset importing, your best bet would be to follow the FBX pipeline documentation at http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXPipeline.html

Comment

Thanks. That seems most interesting. Spent a few hours studying it, so opened a can of worms now. Let the forum posts commence!

Comment

I believe if you export your entire scene as an FBX (without combining everything to one object) you can have UDK import each object (as separate pieces) and the textures associated with them in the import dialog box. It can also make basic materials for you.

In my experience, having UDK do all of this for you from a single FBX file may be quick but it's extremely messy in regards to material setup and naming conventions. But do whichever you prefer.

Comment

Working...
                    X