Shadowing on masked objects.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadowing on masked objects.

Im working right now with a wheat field which looks fine except one thing, the shadowing is a bit off. I have a Dominant Directional Light in the scene with standard settings except lowered brightness and changed color.
    Results now:

Front

Back

As you see the shadows don't really look nice or realistic, is there a way to soften up the shadows on the back side as a way to fake light going through?
    Thanks in advance!

You can add slight emissive and decrease diffuse.

Comment

you can use cascaded shadow maps for more realistic look.
      another way - don't use two sided material, create polygons for both sides with unique lightmap UVs.
      and the best way - your grass material can be unlit with emissive. it's very cheap but not so realistic.

Comment

Tried using emissive, didnt look that well and if I use a light on it it doesnt look good at all so either cascaded shadow maps or more polys then, is there a good tutorial or guide on how to use cascaded shadow maps, I have no idea how to use them in UDK so :S

Comment

Dominant Directional Light, and just enable the cascaded shadowmaps by increasing its radius and resolution.

Comment

just look settings for light on Foliage map...

Comment

Ok Thanks alot for taking the time to answer
              I just got one more question :P
              Is there a difference in performance by doing it this way? Is this alot more costly?

Comment

Dynamic shadows will always come with a greater cost. Baked in shadows have a much smaller impact on performance at the cost of Dynamic shadow interactions.

Comment

How about a transmission mask?

Comment

Working...
                  X