Maya Collision problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maya Collision problems

Ok so i made a house in Maya. It is a two story house and i want it to have collisions. What i did was duplicated the house and called the second one MCDCX_House. I also tried UCX_House. These two were supposed to give me a collision, which it did by the way but an extreme one. Is there anything i can do to make a collision so the characters can run through the house both floors? Please help i am desperate. I really want to make this work.

Comment

To make a collision model, you cannot simply copy it and make it a collision. (Usually)
      There are rules for a collision mesh.
      First of all, it cannot have concave angles.

A collision model should also be severily simplified. It doesn't need any detail.

If you're making something like a house that can be entered, you have no choice but to make it out of multiple models.
      You should be able to build it out of boxes and other such simple geometry, you want to have it as simple as possible.

Alternatively you COULD make it per poly. But that is really not suggested, unless in specific cases.

Comment

So are you saying that each wall and floor should have a separate piece of mesh? like a box or plane? and just do this for all areas? Do i call that MCDCX or UCX still?

Comment

That's pretty much it yeah, not sure if planes work. You call them UCX_Whatever and export it together wish the main mesh.

Comment

Ok sounds good. Hard but good. Oh one more question if i can. Do i make the box the same size as the wall in width, or slightly bigger?

Comment

whatever you fancy, box can be any size, the collision field of the default player is slightly bigger than the player themselves, so generally you can just make it the same position as the wall, as long as it's thicker than 1 unit it should work. also, Planes dont work when exported from max as collision, so i doubt they'll work from maya (again 'cos planes are 1 unit)

Comment

OK thank you all so very much. I have a ton of work ahead of me i guess. LOL. You have all been super.

Comment

collision problems...

Hi guys...

Basically I'm having a similar problem to the above. I understand that both the mesh and the collision mesh need to have the same name (the collision mesh having UCX_ at the front of the name). The mesh is of a basic air shaft and I want collision each wall, ceiling and floor. I have blocked out its collision using cubes (they do not intersect). However... once in UDK the collision mesh merges together...

Has anyone got any ideas?

The only other way out I can see is to build the collision using brushes... or separating the mesh and putting it back together in UDK.

Comment

They do not have to have the same name only the prefix is important.

Have you merged the boxes into the same object? Then that would be your issue, it would be detected as a concave model on import and UDK will will then fill those bumps in.

Comment

Ah ok, thanks for the reply.

The mesh model's name is "A2Duct" and I named the collision box as "UCX_A2Duct" when I posted earlier I did have all the boxes combined but have just separated them all and renamed each as "UCX_A2Duct, UCX_A2Duct1, UCX_A2Duct2..." but that just imports the first collision box within UDK and ignores the rest.

Do I need to group the collision boxes and name the group UCX_A2Duct or have I missed something?

Comment

Woo, ok after some tweaking the way I was exporting here and there I have it working.

What worked for me was to attach my collision boxes in Maya's hierarchy to the mesh. I used UCX_A2Duct_01 then _02 and so on. Selected the column and exported as an FBX...

Cheers again for the reply

Comment

Working...
                        X