Static meshes not colliding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hey, sorry for the delayed response, I have been on holiday for a week!

Thank you so much for your help. I finally got it. You were absolutely right about the blocking boxes. The problem was: Some UDK default meshes don`t have such box collision models, so you have to turn box collision off (so that`s why you have to untick it) and use line collision. I know it`s more expensive, since it demands more system resources, but it should do fine for my training sessions. It would have been clear to me right away, if I had more experience with 3D programs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by bobakilla View Post
    Thanks for your help.
    Sorry, if I have to repeat my question, but I still didn`t quite understand.

I use a static mesh from content browser (not my own, included in UDK), and there is no collision with the player by default. Then I check the mesh editor and see that "UseSimpleCollisionBox" is ticked by default (so I guess it is set on true). So my first thought was: "If it is set on true, since it is ticked, there should be a collision. But why isn`t there any?"
    --> Now I untick it (so it is set on false) and now my player collides with the static mesh. This irritates me.

Again, I am sorry that I have to ask again.
    NP I don't know why UDK stock meshes won't collide, I can't answer that, sorry. Personally I avoid modifying any original UDK content. But you can get around that by right clicking the mesh you want, choose Create a Copy then name it to YourMeshesFile, etc.

A second method: Instead of unticking you could use a Blocking Volume (volumes are on the left of the UDK editor under Volume). To add a blocking volume first you adjust the size of the red box or brush, and of course move the red brush around the mesh you want players to collide with - make it the correct size, then right click on the Volume option and press: add Blocking Volume.

A third method: add Collision to the mesh itself. To do that open the chosen static mesh in your browser by double clicking it, then above the pic window of the mesh there'll be: Mesh. View. Tool. and then Collision., click on Collision and it has options: 6DOP, 10DOP... etc. 6DOP is the simplest, a box. Mess around until you get the shape you want, but:-
    The downside of that method is, say you have a floor with hole like trapdoor with that mesh won't work - you'll have collision right across the trapdoor area too. But for rocks and meshes that are 'convex' (ie: expand outwards not inwards) that method works fine.

So for basic rock shapes use a blocking volume or add collision in the mesh. For trapdoors or arches that players move through use blocking volumes around them, or untick the mesh's UseSimpleCollision etc.

A fourth method and best is a 3d program which does the lot. If you enjoy modelling you should learn, probably Blender 3d. Yeah, and after a few months of hair-pulling 3d programs are real easy to use

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for your help.
    Sorry, if I have to repeat my question, but I still didn`t quite understand.

I use a static mesh from content browser (not my own, included in UDK), and there is no collision with the player by default. Then I check the mesh editor and see that "UseSimpleCollisionBox" is ticked by default (so I guess it is set on true). So my first thought was: "If it is set on true, since it is ticked, there should be a collision. But why isn`t there any?"
    --> Now I untick it (so it is set on false) and now my player collides with the static mesh. This irritates me.

Again, I am sorry that I have to ask again.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by bobakilla View Post
    Hi people,
    I just had a similar problem. I positioned a static mesh (a giant rock) on a simple map. While playing, I recognized that I could just walk through it, even though it was blocking my weapon. So I searched this forum and found this thread and it helped me to solve this problem. I right-clicked on the static mesh --> search in content browser --> static mesh editor --> and there I simply ticked off "Use Simple Box Collision" ... and now it works.
    My problem is, I don`t really understand why. I mean I ticked it off, so why is collision now working? Now it is blocking the weapon and the player. I just want to understand what happend in the system. And do you guys know a different (maybe more intuitive) way of solving such problems with static meshes.
    First thing if you're searching for help use "UDN collide" rather than "UDK collide." UDN is usually the official version of help.

The reason for no collision UDK with player default on is it's supposed you'll place collision boxes on your meshes in your 3d program.

Suppose you have a complex static mesh, the game has to calculate each vertex that the player may bump into, but a simple collision box (or two maybe) around that complex mesh instead means only calculating a minimal amount of player collision vertexs. Fire a weapon collision is different. It's always on because weapon traces must be calulated anyway. So as a basic concept there are 2 types of collision - player colliding and weapon colliding, (yeah and vehicles but UDN will help you out).

Exceptions for me with player collision boxes are stairs, and I would simply untick "UseSimpleBoxColl..." etc because why bother making collision boxes for stairs, it's only doubling the stair vertexes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi people,
    I just had a similar problem. I positioned a static mesh (a giant rock) on a simple map. While playing, I recognized that I could just walk through it, even though it was blocking my weapon. So I searched this forum and found this thread and it helped me to solve this problem. I right-clicked on the static mesh --> search in content browser --> static mesh editor --> and there I simply ticked off "Use Simple Box Collision" ... and now it works.

My problem is, I don`t really understand why. I mean I ticked it off, so why is collision now working? Now it is blocking the weapon and the player. I just want to understand what happend in the system. And do you guys know a different (maybe more intuitive) way of solving such problems with static meshes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ah, I just had to set a collision box in the mesh editor. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by adam753 View Post
    The static mesh that collides correctly was just created by right-clicking on a brush and choosing "convert to static mesh"
    Assuming you meant Convert to Mover, when you do that, it will change the collision from BlockAll to NoCollision, so just double check that the option right in it's properties.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yeah
    you can see collision mesh in static mesh editor
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Stati...uide.html#Tool Bar
    if it's not, you can set it http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Stati...html#Collision

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, the button's a mover, sorry. Does that change anything?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    static mesh? maybe you need Mover?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The static mesh that collides correctly was just created by right-clicking on a brush and choosing "convert to static mesh" (both this one and the button are quite simple) I don't remember having to set up a collision before. But I haven't, anyway, so how would I do that?
    I already have the button itself working correctly using a trigger, it's just annoying that I'm walking through it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Have you setup the collision of the mesh? I don't mean the settings, but actually having a collision. You can either use the automatic tools in UDK to create one, or create one in your modeling program.

Also note that for your setup you'd also need a trigger. An object that blocks all can never touch the player, as touching means the collision volumes intersect. But if they block eachother that cannot happen.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Static meshes not colliding?

Static meshes not colliding?

I'm trying to put a button in the floor and set it up so that when a player stands on it, it sinks down and a matinee plays, and when they step off it, it rises back up and the matinee reverses. This really should be the simplest of tasks, but my button doesn't seem to be colliding with anything. I've set it to collide_blockall in the editor, I couldn't find a similar option in content browser. But I can walk straight through it and can't see a reason why. I have other, larger static meshes in the level that I can stand on safely. Is this a problem with the August 2011 build, or am I missing something?

Thanks.
Working...
X