Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sick of tired with those Unreal Units Measurements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick of tired with those Unreal Units Measurements?

Hey guys,

I took the liberty to add this small feature inside my side project I am currently working on. What is the project? Once released, this will give quick assistance to UDK Developers the cutting edge to easily develope their games; faster than a blade cutting through butter. The total program will include a nice Unreal Code Editor, Story Line Aid and many more. One thing I hate about nFridge is that it ugly dollar amount and you know for those that are just beginning. The best thing about the Unreal Editor included in the final program will be easily indicate what you did wrong if any code errors occur; once the program detects errors; it will easily translate those Code Jardons down to the user. Level Design with the Unreal Measurement Assistant will immensely give simple aid! I know I get sick of remembering the units like when I want to build a house; how many unreal units is that? You get the point! Here is a preview of the Unreal Measurement Assistant which can benefit those like me when it comes to easily designing a model for unreal. Hope everyone enjoys!

Yea I know what your saying about the different units between Max/Maya/Blender etc & UDK. Pretty much every single model I've ever made was made with no particular "units" of measurement in mind, cos I simply forgot lol. All I think about is what I'm making, and most of the "mathematics" of it go out of the window. Then when I go to pull the baseball bat, Katana, door or whatever into UDK, its about 5 times bigger than it should be. I'm starting to pay more attention to the importance of it now, but even if its wrong, I just scale it in UDK. The only time it can cause MAJOR problems is when maximum texture detail is KEY, especially if you need to upscale things in UDK, then you lose clarity because of it. Maybe theres a way to define custom units in 3DS, but I've not looked into that yet. I just use standard units or "mm, cm, inch". Whats this about a storyline aid too? That sounds promising man, and a script jargon buster is every beginners best friend IMO.

Sounds like it'll be a useful program bro.

Comment

But the units are generic, they don't really mean anything.
      You can pick any scale you want and stick to it.

The default units of max are also generic, and one Unreal Unit = one Generic Max unit.

There's really nothing to base the measurement on other than if you for some reason want to create a game with exactly the same scale UT3, but that's entirely up you.

Comment

Lol, well thats good to know then. I thought there was a difference, or that it mattered. So you just find a unit you want to work with, and make sure you stay consistant with THAT unit only, then sizes wont be "all over the place"? I've got a pack with a few weapons I made, like a hammer, baseball bat and katana, but in UDK their HUGE lol. I probably just made them huge in Max though if the generic units are the same.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by shuriken88 View Post
          Yea I know what your saying about the different units between Max/Maya/Blender etc & UDK. Pretty much every single model I've ever made was made with no particular "units" of measurement in mind, cos I simply forgot lol. All I think about is what I'm making, and most of the "mathematics" of it go out of the window. Then when I go to pull the baseball bat, Katana, door or whatever into UDK, its about 5 times bigger than it should be. I'm starting to pay more attention to the importance of it now, but even if its wrong, I just scale it in UDK. The only time it can cause MAJOR problems is when maximum texture detail is KEY, especially if you need to upscale things in UDK, then you lose clarity because of it. Maybe theres a way to define custom units in 3DS, but I've not looked into that yet. I just use standard units or "mm, cm, inch". Whats this about a storyline aid too? That sounds promising man, and a script jargon buster is every beginners best friend IMO.

Sounds like it'll be a useful program bro.
          I like the idea of realism, this one time; I was trying to create a mansion and started with a base mesh in udk; sure it looked tall from the player's height but perhaps when this program is finalized the results will be quicker and simplier. Plus, the Story Line Aid; may take some time just because if the user picks Action Adventure as a genre - then there will be tips and stategies on creating a solid foundation for the game idea. So, that part may take some intensive though put in. Sure, some measurements don't really matter but I kept on running into a situation where I wanted to make (e.g. A house) look realistic and the rooms inside feel real with almost close measurements to the real world. Another reason why I am fond of the idea of creating a Story Line support is because I have a strong solid idea, then some-how go "Forget it not standing out like a sore thumb to be unique". I'm sure some beginners run into this problem and I know if they're like me; Game Developing is a passion! It's fun and it's amazingly intellectually challenging!

However, there will be updates on my youtube channel - be sure to subscribe because I won't be posting the program detailed. I believe this is only UDK Development Talk. Which again, details will be disclosed on my game I'm developing on here.

Have a good day!

Comment

Working...
          X