Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Ocean Waves Animation

Hello, i am trying to do this for a while but doesn't work so far
    I have a custom nice looping ocean waves and want to import this animated mesh to UDK, please point me out how to do this

Thank you very much!!

Cheers,
    Barış

For importing static meshes into UDK along with it's custom animations and such, you should have a look at http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXPipeline.html

Comment

Thank you for the reply! Which i don't get it,it requires a skeletal mesh to import an animation.Of course i don't have any bone or dummy skinned to my custom ocean,this is where the problem starts for me.I can't really figure this out.It requires a bone animation skinned to an object to import the animations,this is so silly!!How i am supposed to import this ocean animation

Comment

up,please point me out how to do this

Comment

you can do this in a number of ways:
          1. manually animate your waves: put some bones to your ocean and animate them, then export the mesh with the animations and import into UDK, put the mesh and its animation
          2. use a fluid surface actor, and some fluid influence actors. tip: if the fluid influence actor is set as 'wave' type it'll seem like a drop of water over and over, but if you move it via matinee you can get some nice waves
          3. create the waves in the vertex shader: add some advanced stuff into the WorldPositionOffset input at the material editor

number 1 is pretty straight forward, but it'll be hard to get it looking good.
          number 2 is a little harder but there is enough info at UDN to make it work. the advantage of this vs. number 3 is that the water's collision goes along with the waves, and the fluid surface actor has some very nice interactivity
          number 3 is much harder but with enough searching you can find an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
            you can do this in a number of ways:
            1. manually animate your waves: put some bones to your ocean and animate them, then export the mesh with the animations and import into UDK, put the mesh and its animation
            2. use a fluid surface actor, and some fluid influence actors. tip: if the fluid influence actor is set as 'wave' type it'll seem like a drop of water over and over, but if you move it via matinee you can get some nice waves
            3. create the waves in the vertex shader: add some advanced stuff into the WorldPositionOffset input at the material editor

number 1 is pretty straight forward, but it'll be hard to get it looking good.
            number 2 is a little harder but there is enough info at UDN to make it work. the advantage of this vs. number 3 is that the water's collision goes along with the waves, and the fluid surface actor has some very nice interactivity
            number 3 is much harder but with enough searching you can find an example.
            THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR!
            I hope this is going to help me good

Comment

no problem!
              out of curiosity: which of the 3 ways will you use? I used number 2 and I don't regret it at all

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                no problem!
                out of curiosity: which of the 3 ways will you use? I used number 2 and I don't regret it at all
                of course 2 first one is just impossible with bones no way!! i wish there was a way to you know export import easily to udk and see your animation without using any bone
                I am curious and was wondering if i can use custom ocean waves to get more realism in udk

Comment

Working...
                X