Request :: Rain Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request :: Rain Tutorial

From my research, PostProcessing, Particle Emitters, and Planes are the main methods used to create the effect. Has anyone any links to an updated Rain tutorial for any of these methods? What has everyone's experience been with the performance of these methods?

At the moment, I'm trying to figure out how Epic implemented it with their Day and Night showcase map and gutting it, but the signal-to-noise ratio in that level is low.

While not free, this Eat 3D tutorial does cover "rain, wind, thunder, lightning, splashes, puddles, and even plants that react to wind in order to bring the environment to life..." I believe he used planes and post processing for most of the rain effects.

Comment

when I made my rain I used a single emitter that follows the player, as follows: one with small drop sprites (individual drops) that spawn a splash particle on collision, and then another one with big planes with lots of drops as a texture, all around the player. so in total it's 3 systems in the emitter: small drops, splashes and drop planes
      that and a thick fog
      I didn't add that many of them so I got it decent-looking and barely noticed any performance loss

Comment

Working...
      X