Dynamic shadow "gradient" looks worst in DX11 than DX9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Not worldinfo, it's on the dominant light's properties, under light -> light component.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by taz1004 View Post
    ...tweaking Cascaded shadow maps in World properties...
    I can't find this propertie in WorldInfo, what is the exact name and location please?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You can reduce it by tweaking Cascaded shadow maps in World properties but you can't eliminate it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Its an ongoing problem that wont be addressed anytime soon..

This error has been around since november 2010 version of udk, I have looked everywhere for a solution or fix, tweak anything!! Even taking peoples advice on methods they have no clue about..
    The final result is that there is no fix for this issue!
    Most people will just get answer your Question's with there Questions's which make it end up as a sarcastic debate about how stupid you are for not finding an answer for a problem everybody else is having.. thus leaving you to try to find the answer without any help at all, like your were before you posted for some help..
    This problem has ****** me of with udk and is one of the reasons I stopped working on allot of projects within udk, and focused on small trival **** that is in a way kinda pointless eye candy effects.

I think this thread might interest you also..
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...-this-be-fixed

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Building light doesn't help as it's fully dynamic light.
    The light is around 64uu height from the ground, even at 128uu, the issue persist but when switching to DX9 it's really less noticeable as you can see on the picture so I guess it's more about the rendering technique than the light position.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, your light angle is what's causing that. And you need to build your lighting, that effect is from dynamic shadows.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I believe the problem is due to the light being too close to the ground.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Dynamic shadow "gradient" looks worst in DX11 than DX9

Dynamic shadow "gradient" looks worst in DX11 than DX9

Hi,
    Using dynamic light with dynamic shadow set to LightShadow_Normal I encounter issue when the light is near to a wall and in other cases. This classical issue with shadowmaps is far more problematic when using dx11 mode than dx9 as you can see on the picture below.

I'm still trying to tweak the engine.ini but no result yet. The lack of documentation about all the shadow variables doesn't help but anyway I'm not sure I will solve the issue by this way.

I will not complain again about the stencil shadow volumes removed two year ago (am I? ), I just would like to know if this is an issue planned to be fixed or if there is something to set right to have nice shadows.

The question about fixing the issue in next build is legitimate as the samaritan demo promised super high quality shadows. If this is supposed to be implemented right now, as most feature from the demo, well, sorry but it sounds a bit like a bad joke.

Working...
X