Particle Systems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Particle Systems...

Hey guys, so I recently started playing around a lot with particles in UDK and there are some things I am curious about and cannot seem to find too much info on.

1) I have been trying to find a way to make a particle system emit light. I know that it is possible to do so by attaching a light component to a particle system, but I do not know how to do this. The specific thing I am trying to do is make it so that a projectile I fire out of a gun will light a dark area. I took a look at the code for the link-gun and the beam it fires, which creates a light source at the point the beam stops, but I am still unsure of how this works and how I would attach a light to a projectile and/or the particle system used by the projectile. If someone could give me an explanation of this process it would be much appreciated.

2) This question is much simpler. Is there any way to change the color of a material applied to a static mesh through a particle system? What I mean by this is, I have an emitter within a particle system which is using Mesh Data and I am overriding the material of that mesh with the material of the emitter. Is there any way to affect the color of the material that I am applying to the mesh the way I would be able to if I was using a normal emitter which was just emitting a sprite? I assumed that this would be possible but everything I try fails. I know that the issue is not with the material itself as I have used it in other particle systems and been able to manipulate the color with no issue so I am just trying to figure out why it is not working here.

Thanks for any help you can provide and have a great day.

Originally posted by DaveSilver View Post
    Hey guys, so I recently started playing around a lot with particles in UDK and there are some things I am curious about and cannot seem to find too much info on.

1) I have been trying to find a way to make a particle system emit light. I know that it is possible to do so by attaching a light component to a particle system, but I do not know how to do this. The specific thing I am trying to do is make it so that a projectile I fire out of a gun will light a dark area. I took a look at the code for the link-gun and the beam it fires, which creates a light source at the point the beam stops, but I am still unsure of how this works and how I would attach a light to a projectile and/or the particle system used by the projectile. If someone could give me an explanation of this process it would be much appreciated.

2) This question is much simpler. Is there any way to change the color of a material applied to a static mesh through a particle system? What I mean by this is, I have an emitter within a particle system which is using Mesh Data and I am overriding the material of that mesh with the material of the emitter. Is there any way to affect the color of the material that I am applying to the mesh the way I would be able to if I was using a normal emitter which was just emitting a sprite? I assumed that this would be possible but everything I try fails. I know that the issue is not with the material itself as I have used it in other particle systems and been able to manipulate the color with no issue so I am just trying to figure out why it is not working here.

Thanks for any help you can provide and have a great day.
    Buy this dvd series by Hristo Velev on Eat 3d and you'll be a particle master in two weeks
    Its amazing.

Comment

Working...
    X