Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating a 'Film Noir' scene in UDK..... Any advice? or Warnings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a 'Film Noir' scene in UDK..... Any advice? or Warnings?

I am currently in the last year at university and for my Final Year Project, i have chosen to do a scene in UDK using a 'Film Noir' Lighting solution.
    This involves getting a 3d Model of the internet and importing it into UDK.
    Then Lighting it.
    Could anyone with experience with this sort of lighting or with UDK lighting set ups please give me any advice you have.
    Also if any of you know any good 3d models i could use.
    Appreciate it

Originally posted by 00peteee00 View Post
    I am currently in the last year at university and for my Final Year Project, i have chosen to do a scene in UDK using a 'Film Noir' Lighting solution.
    This involves getting a 3d Model of the internet and importing it into UDK.
    Then Lighting it.
    Could anyone with experience with this sort of lighting or with UDK lighting set ups please give me any advice you have.
    Also if any of you know any good 3d models i could use.
    Appreciate it
    You can download the free UT3 character here , here or here and he or she will work with the stock UDK animations! You will need 3ds Max to open these characters!
    If you want a custom character you'll need to make all the animations for it which no one will give you for free. You can get free custom animations but they are just a few seconds long and not much use for what you want to do.

What you're trying to do would take an experienced level designer,character animator weeks, (if not months) to do and maybe a little over ambitious for a beginner!

Comment

Thanks for the reply
      Its not really the character thats the main part of this scene, it doesn't really need a character. I was thinking of just having a scene and maybe animating props in the
      environment. The main focus of the project will be the lighting solution. i currently have about 3 months to get this project completed, then i will also have time for
      'Testing'.

Comment

Originally posted by 00peteee00 View Post
        Thanks for the reply
        Its not really the character thats the main part of this scene, it doesn't really need a character. I was thinking of just having a scene and maybe animating props in the
        environment. The main focus of the project will be the lighting solution. i currently have about 3 months to get this project completed, then i will also have time for
        'Testing'.
        Some neat tricks with post processing would probably be the answer. Check it here !

Comment

Cheers mate will research into that now (y)

Comment

Look for a thread about a project called "oldTown" in the Works in progress forums. It might give you some ideas

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
              Look for a thread about a project called "oldTown" in the Works in progress forums. It might give you some ideas
              Old town thread is here

Comment

I can absolutely recommend checking out LA Noire from Rockstar and THIS video.
                Noire is all about contrast between black and white with some shade of grays most of the time.

Comment

Brilliant thanks for all this good advice guys! Will help my research a lot

Comment

Working...
                  X