So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rowan_moss View Post
    Lets not get angry :P just having a discussion here Ok, I agree that in this case with this specific stupid robot student, he is making a lot of sense. But it seems like he is trying to get that point across to anyone wanting to get into the games industry. I was that robot student once, and since then I have been to uni and got a degree in games design. Okay, so I haven't got a job yet, but I'm involved with indie dev and no matter how many videos like this I watch I'm not gonna stop!! The fact that the video is titled so you want to work in the video game industry means its targeted at anyone who wants to, and not everyone who wants to get into the industry is as dumb as that robot!!!

"I was that robot student once"
    "
    Lets not get angry" My apologies, but if you read most of my threads here on the forums, I get a bit emotional sometimes

What the video is actually trying to do in my opinion is to bring game development back down to earth and not propel it in this kind of "Hollywood " type world where the industry is this amazingly hip/cool place to work..Its like any other workplace but has the added bonus of being an art, for want of a better word!
    By being an art environment, it can have special rewards and lead to a somewhat celebrity status, given you work extremely hard and have the right formula.

Don't get me wrong, if it was completely dire, I wouldn't work in it! What the video primarily saying though is that just having an idea and being able to play games, isn't enough to become Dan and Sam Houser, (Rockstar Games) or Tim Sweeney ,(Epic Games) formerly 'Potomac Computer Systems'..You need to very skilled and dedicated !

Comment

Originally posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
      "I was that robot student once"
      "
      Lets not get angry" My apologies, but if you read most of my threads here on the forums, I get a bit emotional sometimes

What the video is actually trying to do in my opinion is to bring game development back down to earth and not propel it in this kind of "Hollywood " type world where the industry is this amazingly hip/cool place to work..Its like any other workplace but has the added bonus of being an art, for want of a better word!
      By being an art environment, it can have special rewards and lead to a somewhat celebrity status, given you work extremely hard and have the right formula.

Don't get me wrong, if it was completely dire, I wouldn't work in it! What the video primarily saying though is that just having an idea and being able to play games, isn't enough to become Dan and Sam Houser, (Rockstar Games) or Tim Sweeney ,(Epic Games) formerly 'Potomac Computer Systems'..You need to very skilled and dedicated !
      Well upon that we can agree good sir!

Comment

Originally posted by rowan_moss View Post
        Well upon that we can agree good sir!

Comment

At least I know now what not to do in the industry
          I'll go indie to start and avoid big studios because I think unless you're extremely talented, you don't have a chance.

Comment

Lex, how much do you know about becoming a teacher? How certified would you need to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Shindawg View Post
              Lex, how much do you know about becoming a teacher? How certified would you need to be?
              Funny enough I'm doing an English teaching course for foreign students but I doubt that's what you mean here!
              Do you mean teaching game design or modelling or a combination?

For modelling programmes like 3ds Max or Maya Autodesk certify you once you're at an extremely advanced level....
              Andrew Klein is a good example of a certified Zbrush and Maya instructor , http://www.andrewklein.net/.....

With game engines, you'll have to talk to the people in charge! ie; Contact one of the moderators on here and ask about how certification works or if it exists with UDK and if so, how do you become an accredited instructor...............

Comment

Originally posted by AppManCrothers View Post
                At least I know now what not to do in the industry
                I'll go indie to start and avoid big studios because I think unless you're extremely talented, you don't have a chance.
                Great name, it reminds me of Scatman Crothers

Comment

Wow. I'm 13, and I can see this reflected in my school and game project so much. I haven't said anything about my project at my schools at all, due to what responses I was getting form my last school.

*"How much will it cost?"
                  "Dude, I haven't set a price yet."
                  "Just say it dude, you don't have to hide it."
                  "okay... uhh... $4.99."
                  "That's alot, man. Can I have it for free?"

*"Can I test it? I can give you ideas."

(later...)

"Put a nuke in the game."
                  "How's that any fun for the person getting shot at?"
                  "Can you give it to me, then?"

*"Can I see pics?"
                  **Concept Art is shown**
                  "Holy God, these are the best, man!"

But in all reality, my ideals and their subsequent concepts aren't as good as they really are, and this video showed me that.

For those who want to see my project, please go to iOS developent. it should be there somewhere. I'll post a link later.

-ad

Comment

Originally posted by XXWeaponXX7 View Post
                    Wow. I'm 13, and I can see this reflected in my school and game project so much. I haven't said anything about my project at my schools at all, due to what responses I was getting form my last school.

*"How much will it cost?"
                    "Dude, I haven't set a price yet."
                    "Just say it dude, you don't have to hide it."
                    "okay... uhh... $4.99."
                    "That's alot, man. Can I have it for free?"

*"Can I test it? I can give you ideas."

(later...)

"Put a nuke in the game."
                    "How's that any fun for the person getting shot at?"
                    "Can you give it to me, then?"

*"Can I see pics?"
                    **Concept Art is shown**
                    "Holy God, these are the best, man!"

But in all reality, my ideals and their subsequent concepts aren't as good as they really are, and this video showed me that.

For those who want to see my project, please go to iOS developent. it should be there somewhere. I'll post a link later.

-ad
                    You're in the perfect position to become successful in the industry, being so young!
                    By the time you hit 20, you'll be a master at game dev and modelling if you're really dedicated.....I envy you in some ways because I'm over the hill now and maybe have 10 or 15 years left in development....You have have just started what could be a very prosperous life.....

Good luck and all the best!

Lex

Comment

You're in the perfect position to become successful in the industry, being so young!
                      By the time you hit 20, you'll be a master at game dev and modelling if you're really dedicated.....I envy you in some ways because I'm over the hill now and maybe have 10 or 15 years left in development....You have have just started what could be a very prosperous life.....

Good luck and all the best!

Lex
                      Thank you for your support, sir! Really means a lot to me.

Comment

I thought I was young trying to work up to go into the game developing industry.... I am 16 but XXWeaponXX7 is 13. At your age I was trying to figure out UT2 Editor and didn't even know about 3D Modeling... However back on topic. I am in a group with 25 other people trying to make a game but no one except literally 9 of us do anything and everyone is almost under 17 (with the exception of two). This video honestly makes tons of sense from my perspective because it describes almost all the people in our Team (BVG Studios). I am going to say it outright, I want to work at 343i or Bungie which are AAA companies, which are really high goals to even perceive. Back to my topic -> I honestly tell people at my school about my project and they say stupid stuff like Weapon mentioned "Put a nuke on the Longsword" it just doesn't work and are worthless comments or "Can I test the game?" I just extremely dislike it along with not ever being able to get into some type of Design class at my HS... Sorry I am off topic AGAIN, I have been Modeling for like 12 hours today...Anyways to make sense. This video is very true, because I have ideas but I made the mistake of not learning anything and trying to post ideas to make my own team (I am the student robot). I see it is annoying so I am going to learn more about UDK FPS system that I don't get before even trying to setup a new original project. Thanks for showing this video it has helped me figure out a few things I need to learn and do differently before anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodBrothers View Post
                          I thought I was young trying to work up to go into the game developing industry.... I am 16 but XXWeaponXX7 is 13. At your age I was trying to figure out UT2 Editor and didn't even know about 3D Modeling... However back on topic. I am in a group with 25 other people trying to make a game but no one except literally 9 of us do anything and everyone is almost under 17 (with the exception of two). This video honestly makes tons of sense from my perspective because it describes almost all the people in our Team (BVG Studios). I am going to say it outright, I want to work at 343i or Bungie which are AAA companies, which are really high goals to even perceive. Back to my topic -> I honestly tell people at my school about my project and they say stupid stuff like Weapon mentioned "Put a nuke on the Longsword" it just doesn't work and are worthless comments or "Can I test the game?" I just extremely dislike it along with not ever being able to get into some type of Design class at my HS... Sorry I am off topic AGAIN, I have been Modeling for like 12 hours today...Anyways to make sense. This video is very true, because I have ideas but I made the mistake of not learning anything and trying to post ideas to make my own team (I am the student robot). I see it is annoying so I am going to learn more about UDK FPS system that I don't get before even trying to setup a new original project. Thanks for showing this video it has helped me figure out a few things I need to learn and do differently before anything else.
                          Its a pleasure and as I said to the previous young man, the world is your Oyster at your age!
                          If I can help in any way along the road, drop me a line on YouTube because I tend to go on there everyday answering questions, as well as trying to help young folk like yourself...

Good luck in your endeavours and take care..

Lex

Comment

Its a pleasure and as I said to the previous young man, the world is your Oyster at your age!
                            If I can help in any way along the road, drop me a line on YouTube because I tend to go on there everyday answering questions, as well as trying to help young folk like yourself...

Good luck in your endeavours and take care..

Lex
                            Alright Thanks! I will most likely be asking alot questions about how to get FPS Arms working and of the sort but I will do that when I get home from school. Thanks for the support!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodBrothers View Post
                              Alright Thanks! I will most likely be asking alot questions about how to get FPS Arms working and of the sort but I will do that when I get home from school. Thanks for the support!
                              If you can't get me on here, make sure you message me on YouTube!
                              I recently disabled messaging but now its enabled again....

Comment

Thanks for your support, guys. This really means alot to me.

Lex, You're right. The world really is for the taking. There is so much more that we can do, that we don't. I won't forget your words... whatever they were.
                                Just kidding.

To Blood Brother, I can tell you right now, you need to keep trying. Those guys in your studio that can't do anything but give a bad idea, you can't keep them around. There's no point in helping them, it'll take too long. The ideas that they will contribute, will, no doubt, hinder you in contrast to help you. If they can't model, texture art, or script for your team, they're just going to bog you down with details that only they want. I hope I'm not being controversial, but you need to do something about that. They're not there for you, they're there for themselves. For the 9 men that can script, texture, and model, you need to push them fore-ward. They can do something, and have already started climbing the learning curve. You just need to help them.
                                Get ideals from other games (Think: Why was Hard Reset or Vanquish bad?) and apply them to your own. You can probably do this better than me, I'm sure of it, and I can safely assume that you're here to stay, to become something more than what you are now.
                                And when your team gets to the top of the learning curve? Hope you've brought a sled.

As well, in the first video, the cardboard man says somethnig about a gun with gravity. How would you be able to change that in unrealscript? I'm thinking...

*Get the location of where the gun is pointing in the game world.
                                *Set the gravity to invert direction, or invert the vectors relating to that direction altogether. (Or better, perpendicular to a surface!)
                                *release a button to stop the beam.

I can see all sorts of ragdoll physics in my head right now.

Oh, and here's the link I promised.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...e.-*Onslaught*

Argh, FPS arms the bane of FPS's. I hate script ing htem.

Comment

Working...
                                X