Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr3d1337 View Post
    Very true, I've spent the past 6 years of my life testing mechanics and game play features. My buddy and I are just recently starting to make our first serious game that we do have plans to release, and I still only know a small amount of what is capable of being done. But as I continue to work on our project I learn more and more each day. This is a tough job but like said, if you're dedicated and want to see what you can do and want to see a final project, you'll do it. One of the things Valve has said is, "if the fans really want it, they'll make it themselves."
    Excellent quote..........
    And "your mind is the only limitation on your capability"......one of my quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
      Excellent quote..........
      And "your mind is the only limitation on your capability"......one of my quotes
      So true

Comment

If i can say something about theme here,
        I strongly believe man,or woman, who want, well this is not i wanna or something connected with will, this is more,,, i feel deep inside me -I MUST!- do this, learn, spend the tons of hours to think ,to experiment, to try, to try to try again and again and again till i get that what i want. Make game, its not industry, look if u make someone with your product to feel on one or another way, this is the art, and you are the artist, you r the man, or woman, who touching someone feelings, soul, u can make him to think on way as u wish. Isn´t it that spectacular? But to be an artist u must to be alchemist to know everything u can, learn,learn learn,think,think,think,work,work,work. If you feel deep inside you that you can cut off all your life because one simple reason,,, to make ppl to feel something what u wish of them to think, than go and try yourself, step in and be prepared, here, for one little feel of happiness in your soul u will must to give a whole you, your time, nerves, nights,days. Do you have a girlfriend? With all her silly wishes about shoes,skirt, blouse,,,? Personally i dont have time for this and i think im 2 old to listen that .
        Wow, im gonna stop myself now .

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko Savich View Post
          If i can say something about theme here,
          I strongly believe man,or woman, who want, well this is not i wanna or something connected with will, this is more,,, i feel deep inside me -I MUST!- do this, learn, spend the tons of hours to think ,to experiment, to try, to try to try again and again and again till i get that what i want. Make game, its not industry, look if u make someone with your product to feel on one or another way, this is the art, and you are the artist, you r the man, or woman, who touching someone feelings, soul, u can make him to think on way as u wish. Isn´t it that spectacular? But to be an artist u must to be alchemist to know everything u can, learn,learn learn,think,think,think,work,work,work. If you feel deep inside you that you can cut off all your life because one simple reason,,, to make ppl to feel something what u wish of them to think, than go and try yourself, step in and be prepared, here, for one little feel of happiness in your soul u will must to give a whole you, your time, nerves, nights,days. Do you have a girlfriend? With all her silly wishes about shoes,skirt, blouse,,,? Personally i dont have time for this and i think im 2 old to listen that .
          Wow, im gonna stop myself now .
          Serious game developers have no time for anyone except their game....Girlfriends and wives are for wimps ...
          If you're doing a 9-5 studio job making games, then you're life is relatively normal, but if like me you're an indie developer , you have no time for a social life until you've become successful....If you're not looking for success, fine!
          Once you've finally hit the success category, you can start to have a life again....

Although I have a game out there on iTunes already and another one ready very soon, I'm nowhere near successful yet even after two years solid hard work at 15 hours a day, seven days a week...I still put all my work before everything else..
          It would probably be easier to join a studio out there and make the same old typical nonsense games that fill all the shelves of all the retailers , but I don't want to be a sheep and copy what everyone else is doing......

Comment

You can't make the games you want to make.
            Now a days we have all of these excellent tools and distribution systems to do exactly that. As little as 7 years ago, there was no real such thing as an online distribution service that has millions of users. As little as 5 years ago there was no real such thing as an establish free engine that you can download. Now we have both Steam and Unreal Development Kit that make it possible to make games and sell them to millions of people. More than ever, millions of independent developers are emerging, and quite a lot of veterans in the game development world have actually shifted to become independent game developers. Just look at the IGF winners this year, quite a lot of them are really interesting games more so than just the idea of shooting stuff in corridors. We at Digital Confectioners work on the games we want to make and play.

The game industry is an awful place to work/
            Every work place and every work industry has good guys and bad guys. You have places like WalMart that lock their employees in to do more hours of work and you have super markets that let people work a 9am to 5pm work day. Both are in a similar industry. You have hospitality that can be equally as burdening. So while I agree that there are good guys and bad guys; I would disagree in saying that the entire industry expects you to work 80 hour weeks, drink soda and eat pizza every day. We at Digital Confectioners certainly don't here.

I have an idea for a game!
            I some what agree with this point. Like in every business, you have to have some kind of skill that is valuable to them. Unless you're a proven game designer, it's going to be hard to start out doing just that. Unless, of course, you go through the indie development route. However, in light of that, we did a game jam at the Digital Confectioners office and we had people who had never really programmed before making games using UDK. While the statements are some what still true, the wall of knowledge is definitely lessened today than ever.

Don't steal my idea! My idea is unique
            This is true. I suppose this goes with the whole idea that you never actually realize how big the world is and how many people are in it until you go traveling. And that's often true with young teens who are often arm chair commanders/soldiers/game designers.

Buzzwords!
            This is also true. Seen this a lot with start ups who want to try to topple the best because they have a "cool" game idea; and to convince others they use as many buzzwords as possible.

QA
            QA is definitely important, and there are people who actually enjoy breaking other people's code. But to closely examine it, think about every other job. What do you do? The same thing every day? The same thing that your employers pay you to do? It's really no different. I used to be a pharmacist before becoming a game developer. I sold people tablets. I did the exact same thing for four years. I could still continue to do that if required, because it paid the bills. So in my opinion, I think the point is moot. While it's not a walk in the park, and it's not all about playing games, it doesn't mean you can't have fun.

Social aspects
            Well, this depends where you work. But there are people who are married or have girl friends that work in game development companies too. But you know, the same could be said about working every where else. I worked in a factory doing the midnight shift while I was a student. I worked from 6pm till 6am everyday except Saturday and Sunday. I have literally no chance to see anyone other than family and co-workers (simply because they worked the same hours). The factory didn't make games.

Over all, it does paint a pretty grim light. But with that said, the video game industry is seen as a rock star profession and it quite simply isn't true. Sure it's cool to see and play the games that come out of the industry, but it's still hard work in the end. Whether you find it satisfying really comes down to your personality and affinity for what you do in the industry.

Comment

Solid Snake
              "Over all, it does paint a pretty grim light. But with that said, the video game industry is seen as a rock star profession and it quite simply isn't true. Sure it's cool to see and play the games that come out of the industry, but it's still hard work in the end. Whether you find it satisfying really comes down to your personality and affinity for what you do in the industry."

Spot on!

What becomes tedious is when you're asked the same question at least ten thousand times from students who haven't really looked at it from a logical perspective!
              Then the five thousand messages asking you to join a team of students

I have been involved in art for over 35 years now and when you're a veteran at seeing your work publicly displayed, it just becomes normal, whatever medium you create your art in!
              The rewards come in the form of possible wealth and self satisfaction..
              Its not much different from any other job except for the fact that you'll eventually see your wonderful creation running about the device or platform you've launched to.

There was a quote some years back from a guy who worked on Grand Theft Auto 3 asking his friends if they'd seen this particular sign in one of the towns...No one had even noticed it because they just went on instant rampages and missions as soon as they started playing.....He got so much satisfaction from a few signs he'd put in the map for for the team and was totally happy with his input in the game...
              What that demonstrates is that no matter how small your input on a project is, you can have total satisfaction from your work...........So the crux of it is, if you believe whole heartedly that this is what you want to do, go for it.........
              Don't sit around dreaming up stories and crazy game play scenarios because no one playing the game gives a hoot about it, they just want to go an onslaught and wipe out all your lovely AI!
              Think logically when designing your game and also think from a players perspective, not your perspective!

Comment

I believe there is 3 simply words for success "Learn, Work, Share" if you do this everyday you will be successful.
                Learn- everyday from your mistakes and from other, thank God for the internet!
                Work- as that is the last thing what u will do
                Share- listen what others have to say about your work and respect this, this is free acknowledge. I remember one of my teachers who like to say "Every of your questions and new things u we made make me rich for new acknowledge".

Comment

I believe there is 3 simply words for success "Learn, Work, Share" if you do this everyday you will be successful.
                  Learn- everyday from your mistakes and from other, thank God for the internet!
                  Work- as that is the last thing what u will do
                  Share- listen what others have to say about your work and respect this, this is free acknowledge. I remember one of my teachers who like to say "Every of your questions and new things u we made make me rich for new acknowledge".
                  Forget the share bit....Copyright by my own company limits that!

Comment

about share

Originally posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
                    Forget the share bit....Copyright by my own company limits that!

thanks for video

Comment

thanks for video
                      Ah that one is dated now.............I blew up a whole town in another video but it had copyrighted music in it and YouTube complained so I deleted it !

You might have seen it at the time on YouTube, when my character planted a bomb in a pub because the barmaid was an informer! The pub blew up minutes later and then my character just went around blowing everything up...That was when I made the fire extinguisher which you had to find to put out all the fires and collect the goodies in the burning rubble... If you killed the last person in the game, you failed and had to start again because he was innocent!

Comment

I think this video is pretty ridiculous! The horrible text-to-voice aspect of it makes it firstly, a horrible piece of animation. That was the first thing that put me off. Then you have some 'veteran' telling people they can't do stuff. Instead, why not say - go online, learn photoshop tutorials, get blender/max/maya, watch/read tutorials for that and then discover how this modelling ties in with games. There are plenty of forums to help people with that stage (like this one). Whether or not the person ends up working for Rockstar or a bad indie company, no-one can say whether they will enjoy that experience or hate it, let alone whether or not they will be good at it. They have to go and find out for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by rowan_moss View Post
                          I think this video is pretty ridiculous! The horrible text-to-voice aspect of it makes it firstly, a horrible piece of animation. That was the first thing that put me off. Then you have some 'veteran' telling people they can't do stuff. Instead, why not say - go online, learn photoshop tutorials, get blender/max/maya, watch/read tutorials for that and then discover how this modelling ties in with games. There are plenty of forums to help people with that stage (like this one). Whether or not the person ends up working for Rockstar or a bad indie company, no-one can say whether they will enjoy that experience or hate it, let alone whether or not they will be good at it. They have to go and find out for themselves.
                          The reason he hasn't said all those things is because it would be lying to you...This is the reality! The animation isn't meant to be good and he's just used a text to speech programme that already includes the animation...Why would he bother wasting weeks or months of work making an animation just to tell most of the dreamers out there that they are living in cloud cuckoo land?

It might not be favourable but its the real world of the video game industry, whether you like it or not !!!

Comment

Why bother making an animation in the first place in that case? Why not simply write it down? They are using this ridiculous example of a person with a stupid Its the year 2435 storyline. There are people all over the shop with brilliant game ideas, and to say that you won't get anywhere with an idea is stupid as well. How do you think any game is made? Someone has a good idea, its the very FIRST step to making a game. My issue is that there is an easy way to get the same point across of how its a tough business without having to be so negative about it all.

Comment

Originally posted by rowan_moss View Post
                              Why bother making an animation in the first place in that case? Why not simply write it down? They are using this ridiculous example of a person with a stupid Its the year 2435 storyline. There are people all over the shop with brilliant game ideas, and to say that you won't get anywhere with an idea is stupid as well. How do you think any game is made? Someone has a good idea, its the very FIRST step to making a game. My issue is that there is an easy way to get the same point across of how its a tough business without having to be so negative about it all.
                              Good ideas come from within studios, not some student who has no idea how to model or programme a game.That's the point its making, or are you too thick to understand that?
                              Yeah great idea...Put a bloody text document on YouTube so no one watch's or reads it......In case you hadn't noticed 220.000 thousand people have watched it and that would have been 0 if was written down...People don't even bother reading the ideas on here most of the time.........Its not negative, its reality...Talk sense will you!

Comment

Lets not get angry :P just having a discussion here Ok, I agree that in this case with this specific stupid robot student, he is making a lot of sense. But it seems like he is trying to get that point across to anyone wanting to get into the games industry. I was that robot student once, and since then I have been to uni and got a degree in games design. Okay, so I haven't got a job yet, but I'm involved with indie dev and no matter how many videos like this I watch I'm not gonna stop!! The fact that the video is titled so you want to work in the video game industry means its targeted at anyone who wants to, and not everyone who wants to get into the industry is as dumb as that robot!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X