So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry

Watch listen and learn...This is the real world of the industry and a reality check if you just have an idea for a game !

So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry [VIDEO]

Student Vs. Game Design Professor [VIDEO]

The Favor [VIDEO]

Meh, I love my job; in the video game industry.

There are some truths in that first video but most are dramatized. Creativity is limited to what the 'company' wants in a game, there are long hours, the end result is trying to sell a game in Wal-Mart. But, I'd rather put 60-80 hours a week into my job than 40 at Costco (something I used to do).

Comment

Originally posted by Vawx View Post
      Meh, I love my job; in the video game industry.

There are some truths in that first video but most are dramatized. Creativity is limited to what the 'company' wants in a game, there are long hours, the end result is trying to sell a game in Wal-Mart. But, I'd rather put 60-80 hours a week into my job than 40 at Costco (something I used to do).
      I agree Vaux but this is more for the ten thousand people that have messaged me on YouTube saying they have a great idea for a game but have no experience with modelling or programming...

A lot of youngsters out there have played Gears of war or Call of duty and then come up with this hair brained scheme that they can do better!
      One person in 25 million has a better idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Lexluthor1 View Post
        I agree Vaux but this is more for the ten thousand people that have messaged me on YouTube saying they have a great idea for a game but have no experience with modelling or programming...

A lot of youngsters out there have played Gears of war or Call of duty and then come up with this hair brained scheme that they can do better!
        One person in 25 million has a better idea!
        I agree. The term 'Game Designer' has been beaten into an idea of simply thinking of a story; usually a bad story.

At the end of the day, working in video games is still working. Sometimes you wish you had a different job or want to punch the computer monitor in front of you because that's all you've seen for an entire week. There are down sides to every single job, even a dream job.

Comment

Originally posted by Vawx View Post
          I agree. The term 'Game Designer' has been beaten into an idea of simply thinking of a story; usually a bad story.

At the end of the day, working in video games is still working. Sometimes you wish you had a different job or want to punch the computer monitor in front of you because that's all you've seen for an entire week. There are down sides to every single job, even a dream job.

Lol...I have had moments where if I could have ripped 3ds max out of my computer and given it a good beating I would have...The same with UDK on occasion....

What these videos primarily demonstrate though is that only shear dedication, blood sweat and tears will make you a successful indie developer...
          Epic Games,Rockstar,Valve,Ubisoft etc etc are only going to employ you if you're exceptionally skilled!
          Great ideas are ten a penny !
          Actually getting down to the nuts and bolts of it and making it happen are what's needed...

As Hourences said " Game development isn't a career but a calling " and I strongly believe that!

Comment

I don't know if it's the intention, but videos like this always depress me a little. When I have UDK open and It's just me and the world I'm creating, I feel like I'm at home. Then I realise that I will probably never get the game job I want and if I do I will end up hating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shindawg View Post
              I don't know if it's the intention, but videos like this always depress me a little. When I have UDK open and It's just me and the world I'm creating, I feel like I'm at home. Then I realise that I will probably never get the game job I want and if I do I will end up hating it.

No, what this video should do is make you more determined to prove it wrong...The weak dreamers out there will just give up and go work in a supermarket...The hardened determined game developer will carry on no matter what and at any cost!

Comment

Very true, Lex. I'm probably becoming too complacent with my current supermarket job

Comment

Originally posted by Shindawg View Post
                  Very true, Lex. I'm probably becoming too complacent with my current supermarket job

Practice your gaming ideas in the Supermarket................Try using a rocket launcher to stack the shelves and see if that makes good game play

Comment

Practice your gaming ideas in the Supermarket................Try using a rocket launcher to stack the shelves and see if that makes good game play
                    Much lols were had hahahaha

Comment

Hmpf yeah same here, video kind of depresses me. Even though I know how to program on multiple platforms and have learned how to 3d model and animate I still am very nervous about my prospects in this rigorously competitive field. Especially since I will be looking for work in foreign countries as my native country still does not have a game industry let alone a studio.

The video describes me to some extent, I spent most of my adult life in love with playing games. But what i've also realized that you can grow from that, you can benefit from the experience you have playing many genres of games when you finally hunker down and decide that you really want to put the effort into pursuing your dream. I already knew how to program, I hence spent over 600 hours in the last 6 months learning how to use the various tools -from the UDK, to 3DS Max to Photoshop- in order to have something substantial to present when I finally take the step and travel to seek out my career in the game industry. Not just my ideas and dreams but something tangible, a proof of concept of my skills. What I'm trying to say is that, gamers, in my honest opinion the first step is dedication and the last is hardly a B.S in Computer Science or Animation. The last step should be you toiling for endless hours, with your eyes bleeding trying to get those **** morph targets working in your game.

I'm traveling on the 14th of February, wish me luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisbetarian View Post
                        Hmpf yeah same here, video kind of depresses me. Even though I know how to program on multiple platforms and have learned how to 3d model and animate I still am very nervous about my prospects in this rigorously competitive field. Especially since I will be looking for work in foreign countries as my native country still does not have a game industry let alone a studio.

The video describes me to some extent, I spent most of my adult life in love with playing games. But what i've also realized that you can grow from that, you can benefit from the experience you have playing many genres of games when you finally hunker down and decide that you really want to put the effort into pursuing your dream. I already knew how to program, I hence spent over 600 hours in the last 6 months learning how to use the various tools -from the UDK, to 3DS Max to Photoshop- in order to have something substantial to present when I finally take the step and travel to seek out my career in the game industry. Not just my ideas and dreams but something tangible, a proof of concept of my skills. What I'm trying to say is that, gamers, in my honest opinion the first step is dedication and the last is hardly a B.S in Computer Science or Animation. The last step should be you toiling for endless hours, with your eyes bleeding trying to get those **** morph targets working in your game.

I'm traveling on the 14th of February, wish me luck.
                        Good luck and don't despair..............
                        Determination,hard work and your half way there...........................

Of those who travel to Hollywood in search of fame, 99% give up because they don't have the will, if you have the will, the goal is there!

Comment

lolz..I must have tested and investigated hundreds of programs by now for a hobby with Udk! (head spinning) and I'm still a newbee, just scratching the surface with some of the ones I am able to use freely for learning. I'm not able to use these heavy price programs like adobe after effects..Microsoft Studio Visual etc. wow!!! Oh well good video, it doesn't discourage me for a hobby for now, unless something else does!...Thx to all the writers for P.L.E. and open source software (should donate soon!!) thx!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteout View Post
                            lolz..I must have tested and investigated hundreds of programs by now for a hobby with Udk! (head spinning) and I'm still a newbee, just scratching the surface with some of the ones I am able to use freely for learning. I'm not able to use these heavy price programs like adobe after effects..Microsoft Studio Visual etc. wow!!! Oh well good video, it doesn't discourage me for a hobby for now, unless something else does!...Thx to all the writers for P.L.E. and open source software (should donate soon!!) thx!!!
                            You don't need after effects or visual studio, just a modelling programme, GIMP,UDK and context..............That's it
                            And obviously dedication, hard work and determination...

All the ideas and plans in the world are not worth two cents if you're not prepared to spend fifteen hours a day for several years learning and testing your skills!

Comment

All the ideas and plans in the world are not worth two cents if you're not prepared to spend fifteen hours a day for several years learning and testing your skills!
                              Very true, I've spent the past 6 years of my life testing mechanics and game play features. My buddy and I are just recently starting to make our first serious game that we do have plans to release, and I still only know a small amount of what is capable of being done. But as I continue to work on our project I learn more and more each day. This is a tough job but like said, if you're dedicated and want to see what you can do and want to see a final project, you'll do it. One of the things Valve has said is, "if the fans really want it, they'll make it themselves."

Comment

Working...
                              X