NURBS - noob question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NURBS - noob question

I made some flower models in 3dmax with NURBS surfaces.
    Can anyone tell me way to make them 2 sided after importing to UDK? :/ I can see only top part of leaves.

I'm "sunday" hobbist with udk and basic modeling thats why my question can be a bit "noobish"

Thanks.

Edit:

Hmmm i changed material in udk to 2-sided and this helped. But really i want to know easiest way to change nurbs into normal mesh etc.

What this usually means in Maya is that your face normals are inverted. It's been awhile since I used Max so I'm not sure where to look, but you should probably look into flipping your face normals. Someone else with more Max experience might be able to provide more assistance, but i thought that I might be able to send you in the right direction...

Comment

Flipping the normals won't make it two sided.

Making it two-sided is a job for the material, and not the mesh. Just tick the two-sided option in the materials properties.

Comment

I think that he made it two sided in order to compensate (quick fix) for the fact that his normals were flipped. I don't think he actually wanted/needed the material to be 2 sided.

Comment

ok i made 2-sided material before. I tried to convert to mesh and extrude. and similar things. Some are working but later when i want to make UV map it gives thousands of errors.
          Anyway its just flower for now, leaves etc then i will stick to 2-sided material and i will read more about 3dmax. Or i will make this different way, will not use NURBS (but these are so easy to model) but maybe i will make leaf from box or similar :/

Thanks anyway

Comment

Cast shell modifier on there !!!

Comment

Or, you could also make a copy of the mesh, flip the normals on the copy so that would make it to where one mesh is facing one direction, and then the other mesh is facing the other way.

Comment

I made as darhviper said and its works till adding material to this. One side is working other one taking just one color. But will make few more tries with this way.

Smallbit could you tell me hwo i can make it with shell? When i use shell it makes nice effect however one side is still black. I know its there but its like not taking light. (no light in scene, also tried with lights added on that surface side.)

I will really make leaves from boxes i think

EDIT:

YAY its working! From now i will use shell. Thank you so much. I just made simple test - 1 square surface + shell. Then i made UVWmap for both sides. paint simple texture on it. Import all and rebuild lights and it looks great. Now i will try to make flower and see what it will looks like.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X