Machine, parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine, parts

Hi, Im making a drill (mining) its big. I want it to be functional in UDK the joint in the drill can be moved animtaed etc. I know it will be skeletal mesh but do i have to animate it in 3d application than export as one object or I export it as several parts of same objects and assemble them in UDK and make them animatable. Like Solidworks. cheers

As long as i know you have to do animation in 3d program, Then export it using actorX. You will need to export mesh itself, animation set and animation sequences, the last you just define from which frame to which you want to export. Then in Udk you launch animations from the kismet /matinee in animset track choosing which sequence to play and when.

Comment

Well you can choose to do it 2 ways. One is make each piece that is going to move. Then in UDK animate via interp actor in matinee. Thats the lazy,bad,chessy way. The other way is to make your whole mesh lets say in 3ds max or maya or blender. Then rig each part you want moving. Then animate the way you want it to move. Since the mesh will be 1 mesh not 23 parts. Export via actor x the PSK(mesh) and PSA(anim). Then in matinee run the anims for the mesh and loop it or play it when you want to play it via trigger.

Comment

Or if being up to date is important to you, use FBX instead, as actor X has been abandoned. (Shame really, I preferred actor X).

If you are using anything prior to Maya/3Ds Max 2012, you can still use actor X.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replies. Im using max and dont use actorX neways . I export as ASEII. Im not an animator so cant rig so guess i have to stick to exporting as a single mesh wihtout animation or separate pieces (as always) and my LD will use Interp actor to animate.

Comment

Really graylord? wow im using 3ds max 2011, no wonder a friend that is using Maya said there was no actorx plugin. Anyway yeah i guess you could do that.

Comment

im no expert,but have rigged quite a few machine type models.PM me if you would like me to rigg yours.i use max 2011

Comment

Well, for a drill, I'd animate everything in 3ds Max except for the actual drill, you could attach that to the rest in UDK and then you'd have full control over the rotation. That is, if you want to have some type of interactive drill thing. If it's just something in the background or if it's in a cinematic, I'd just animate it all in 3ds Max.

Comment

Working...
                X