Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinking light texture - Help!

Hi, everybody !!!

I am new to UDK and came accros this situation that I do not know how to solve. If anyone know can help it would be great.

I know how to create and map a texture in Photoshop CS3, to a model built with 3Ds Max 2010, and also how to import it all to UDK engine.
    I want my model to look more intresting by adding a blinking/flashing light or color to the texture, so the player can see it in the game as little light blinking on the device.
    I understand the Flipbook method , but that doesn't solve my issue.

Is it possible to create a unique texture with parts that change color/blink, and How?

Thanks for help.

well, there are really a few methods to do this. I´d prefer the "mathematical" way: Create a black and white texture that goes with your other textures of the model. The texture is only white where you want your lighting effect. Think of it as a mask. This goes into your emissive channel. You can multiply it with a constant3 vector to change color or with a texture or whatnot. Now for the blinking problem: Look into sine and cosine nodes. I would multiply my "lighting texture" with the following setup to have a very basic blinking going on: Sine divided through cosine with the result fed through a constant clamp. You´l get a tangens out of this. Play with the values and do a bit of research in the documentation. It is easy.

Comment

Exactly as SethNemo said,

Check here http://www.hourences.com/ue3-material-editor-part-2/ the flickering lamp example.

Here you have material compendium to know how to mess up with your material
      http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsCompendium.html

Peace

Comment

Thanks to you bought guys !!!

I got it, its exactly what I wanted to know. Awesome!

Regards and Thank you.

Peace

Comment

Working...
        X