Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landscape quads are always 128 units across?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landscape quads are always 128 units across?

I'm learning how to use the new Landscape system. It seems like I can't get the resolution to be more dense than one vertex every 128 units. Is there some trick I've missed?

I would like to have the Landscape quads be 32x32 units in size.

Is it a bad idea to change the Draw Scale to a smaller number, like 0.25? Maybe I should decrease Draw Scale 3D instead? I saw somewhere that the physics mesh is not scaled down with the render mesh... is this true?

Thanks for any help!

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeCreating.html

quick answer: density isnt good

long answer: Landscape systems really are only for the basic parts of the mesh, rivers, hills, etc. The main details should be created using static meshes and/or foliage systems to create indepth environments. Landscapes shouldnt be like zbrush sculpts. they should be like low poly models capable of showing all the general detail needed. If you have skyrim, borderlands, Rage, Crysis, take a look and see how they do the environments, if you look closely 90% of the time the landscape is super sparse and its just detailed with other meshes.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I realize the performance implications, we have higher density terrains performing very well in full-realized terrains in a proprietary engine. It certainly is possible. But it seems like the resolution limit in UDK is limited to an arbitrary level?

Comment

Working...
      X