Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

build lighting and grass foliage problem - easy fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

build lighting and grass foliage problem - easy fix?

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with a workflow I'm trying to lock down for lots of luscious grass in UDK.

Here's my grass before I build lighting:

Here's my grass after I build lighting:

Is there any way I can get the grass meshes excluded from the lighting build?
    (P.S. they're painted with the foliage tool)

are they just creating shadows? because you could just take off the shadows???

Comment

What lighting mode is your grass material using? Try LM_NonDirectional and play with the shadowing settings in the mesh properties. Most probably the material is just creating a shadow or receives the shadow in a way that it makes it look too harsh. LM_NonDirectional might help in evening out some lighting inconsistencies on meshes built out of simple planes.

Comment

Are you using translucent or masked material? And if you get the method nailed down, we would love a tut on that

Comment

Looks masked to me, as translucent has a horrible tendency to go invisible when in front of another translucent material :\

Comment

Never-mind, I just found a solution to my translucency problem.

Originally posted by Arnage View Post
            In this case the engine has trouble determining which material is in front of the other. To force one translucent material to always render in front or behind another one you can change the "translucency sort priority" in the object properties. In this case you could lower the priority of the water mesh to something below zero to have it always render behind the particle system.
            Carry on!

Comment

I have found a solution, I set the light map resolution in the grass static mesh to 0

And yes, I have a huge tute 90% finished for this. I could probably finish it now but I want to figure out some extra bells and whistles like a simple wind sim and procedural color patterns.

Comment

Working...
              X