How do I create terrain from Meshes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I create terrain from Meshes?

So far I have always created my terrain directly in the Terrain editor inside UDK. However I heard this is not a very efficient way of approaching terrain creation. So instead I created an .obj file in world machine2. Then I imported it into 3ds max 2012 and exported a FBX file. I tried that with both a mesh and an editable poly. However after the import the file has 0 Vertex in the content browser and doesn't show up ingame.
    At first I wanted to give the idea for that process up but then I noticed that the terrain in the example maps is made of static meshes aswell!!! For instance the huge mountains in the NightandDay map are meshes.
    So obviously there has to be a way to get this working. Would be nice if someone could let me know how its done right.

1. check your polycount
    2. try splitting your terrain in smaller chunks

3 in case you want to import it as Terrain:
    - if your terrain is based on heightmap you can apply some black to white gradient texture (side projection) (white is higher) use some kind of unlit material (constant in XSI / unlit in UDK / no idea how its called in Max but I guess you get idea)
    - render top view in 16 bit / channel mode (tiff, psd)
    - crop texture and resize to needed dimensions in photoshop
    * for rest of process you will have to find some tutz in google or here - how to import heightmaps into UDK Terrain (there is some conversion tool available for converting your BMP or TIFF to format UDK can read)

Comment

Originally posted by Xenobite View Post
      1. check your polycount
      2. try splitting your terrain in smaller chunks

3 in case you want to import it as Terrain:
      - if your terrain is based on heightmap you can apply some black to white gradient texture (side projection) (white is higher) use some kind of unlit material (constant in XSI / unlit in UDK / no idea how its called in Max but I guess you get idea)
      - render top view in 16 bit / channel mode (tiff, psd)
      - crop texture and resize to needed dimensions in photoshop
      * for rest of process you will have to find some tutz in google or here - how to import heightmaps into UDK Terrain (there is some conversion tool available for converting your BMP or TIFF to format UDK can read)
      1. The model has less than 25k vertex count in 3ds max. Since I have imported models with twice that ammount into udk this shouldn't be the porblem I think?
      2.Might create another terrain later today with a smaller size... but that would only be an experiment not really a solution to the problem...
      3.I can import the shape as a terrain with the hightmap. That works well but the limitations in the terrain system of UDK is what I am trying to bypass here. :P
      thanks for the reply

Comment

I tried to cap the hole at the bottom of the terrain with a 3DS max modifier on the open edges. However the result of that was that only the geometry generated by the modifier showed up... but still NOT the actual terrain.
        I also noticed that the object seems to be really really tiny. I wonder if that has anything to do with the problem. Then again that doesn't explain why the terrain has 0 vertices at all. heh

Comment

I just imported your mesh (through XSI) and it works in its original gazilion poly form

- OBJ was 1 XSI unit big (WAY TOO SMALL) so I pretty much scaled it 32768 times (I had no clues what was original size you planed for this terrain)
          - after applying material and 2 UV projections (they are both same - didn't bothered making smaller tilable UVs for main material)
          - exported through Crosswalk to FBX format
          - exported from XSI and imported into UDK (win7 64 / 8 gig ram) importing took a bit but no errors were reported
          - had to change collision settings to use "per poly"
          - and... it works

I guess scaling might be the issue in your case (or not as I am clueless what you did later with mesh)
          (check email later for UPK file)

Comment

thanks for the help.
            The key part was to increase the size of the model before importing. That was why it didn't show up before. I still had the 3ds max units set to meter from another project. So I didn't notice how small the model was. Its more efficient to keep terrain materials one sided I think because the player is allways ontop of the mesh anyway. :P

Comment

of course
              2 sided material only helps while moving stuff around in editor (but should be replaced later)

Comment

Working...
              X