Seamless Hallway lighting [screenshot inside]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seamless Hallway lighting [screenshot inside]

I'm making this hallway using small pieces of the wall. They are supposed to be seamless, and they are before I build lights, but after I do, seams appear in the lighting. Changing the building quality and toggling Lightmass has no effect on the issue.

Any ideas how to fix this?

The hallway is entirely staticmesh?

Comment

Yes, it is made of pieces of static meshes. The light seams appear where those pieces meet.

Comment

For things like hallways, I personally like to use BSP. It saves you the trouble of laying out UV's, setting up collision and avoiding problems with seams and lighting. If it's not too late, may I suggest building the hallway out of BSP geometry?

Why people despise BSP so much nowadays, I don't really understand.

Comment

I'm using Static meshes because I need to move/hide/show some of these walls in game. Also to quickly test different level layouts/puzzles. I also need to have the level replicated else where in the game world with different sections.

I personally dislike BSP because they need to be rebuilt everytime they're moved, and I'm not a big fan of the texture controls.

Comment

DO you have a second UV channel for lightmaps?

Comment

No, I don't think so... I only have the UV map I imported with the model for texture, not sure how to have separate UV map for Lightmaps

Comment

You can generate unique UV's in the staticmesh previewer in UDK or simply insert another UV set in your modeling program. I only how to do it in Maya.

UV's must never overlap for lightmap UV's

Comment

im having some similar issues in an enviroment im working on. I am using static meshes (that walls are more complex then a flat plane), it is modular like in this instance and i do have them set to use a seperate uv set for lightmap (as defined in maya), but im still get these hard lines. I do have a lightmass importance volume and i just threw in one of the built in skymaps as a placeholder... anyone have any other suggestions?

Comment

Heh, we were dealing with exactly the same problem and I'm pretty sure it all came down to the UV channels

Comment

Youtube and google are always your friends. There's a variety of different possibilities but the most likely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntx10JMl9f4

Comment

Working...
                      X