Lighting Crash need ideas for solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting Crash need ideas for solution

I am having issues with doing a light calculation for my MFA thesis. When I run the calculation everything works fine until it starts encoding. I have tried a few times and it crashes around the same light maps it is encoding. The same happens no matter what quality setting I use. This has also been tested on multiple computers with different configs. Below will be some of the information. I did do a distributed render across 5 computers and even that crashed. The only clue I have is that the log file says "Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk." The HDD on this computer has 128gb open. I did have to run the 32bit exe of UDK because I have a Landscape object in there and UDK crashes immediately if you try and run lighting on that.

Does any one have any ideas of how I can fix this? I haven't been able to render lighting in a while and it's really hard to tell how my textures are working.
    I am currently testing in the 64bit environment after deleting my landscape... but that isn't a true fix for me.

Thank you all in advance

Home computer
    2 quad core intel xeon e5430 2.66Ghz processors
    8gb ram
    856mb nvidia gtx 265
    64bit windows 7

School Computer 1 (did the 5 computer distribution on this
    Intel i7 3.2Ghz
    12gb ram
    2x Ati Radian HD 5870 (Crossfired)
    64bit windows 7

School Computer 2
    Intel i7 3.2Ghz
    6gb ram
    2x Ati Radian HD 5870 (Crossfired)
    64bit windows 7

This might be a stupid question for you, but did you add a lightmass importance volume?

Comment

Tippy1000 thanks for the response. Yes i did add that the lightmass.

The scene worked fine until i replaced some static mesh objects. I checked the mesh and they seem to be fine. There is nothing fun with the UV's and they are all quite low poly. Just to make sure it wasn't that i did re export and import those objects. Same result though.

Additional test i did was to open the 64bit version delete my landscape and then try rendering. This actually worked. I then did and Undo to bring the landscape back in and everything was as it should be. That makes me think that there is some issue with a light map that is being created with the landscape in 32bit. Or its running out of usable ram b/c its 32bit.

Anyone out there know a good work around to get the job done the right way?

Comment

Working...
      X