Terrain layer setup by elevation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain layer setup by elevation

hey guys, im trying to go about making a terrain layer set up for different elevations of the ground, such as if I were to paint hills in the terrain, it would automatically add the different textures for the different elevations instead of me having to go back and paint all the textures single-handed. This would save a lot of time and I've seen it done before, im just not very familiar with kismet. Does anyone have any tutorials or maybe a picture of what it would look like in kismet i could go off of?

anyone? i know this can be done. if someone could give me a link to a tutorial or some site that would be great

Comment

there's a tutorial about a z-up mask somewhere in the forum. If you modify that shader by adding several sub-steps in the main mask, you can have different heights use different textures. combined with a normal and/or some noise you could then add variation to it,
      i still have to figure out some things, but by modifying that one you can probably get nice results
      but atm the shader at least helps you with blending based on angle to the floor, so it blends based on steepness kinda

Just like that (sry, but how the heck do I use the SHOT function from the "old" forum?):
      ATTENTION! I don't know exactly how to make the gradients sharper (?), but you can change the "heights" by changing the clamps' values

Comment

you make the gradients sharper by using a power or a multiply, depending on the setup

Comment

yes but where exactly do I use the p/m? That's what I want to find out...anyways, doing the above setup with some grass and rock textures gives nice results, just tried it on a big terrain today

Comment

you'd better use pow in here I believe. you'd use it just after the dot product

Comment

****, tried it on a landscape, for some reasons it won't work here anymore, probably has something to do with the layer setup that has to be used (?) for landscape materials.

Comment

Working...
              X