Frame Rate in UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame Rate in UDK

Is there a way to set the overall frame rate of you game in UDK? I have looked in the fourms but I have found nothing about this.

These 2 lines in engine.ini are used for setting/limiting framerate.

MinSmoothedFrameRate=5
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=120

Comment

Thanks Count, but that did not seem to help. I have made a level with just a few static meshes and a fluid surface actor. When I ran the game for some reason it laged. I pressed TAB, and typed in STAT FPS. It showed that I was getting 8-10 FPS. I'm sure its not my computer, but here are my specs:

Dell XPS 8100:
      RAM: 6GB
      CPU: Intel i7-870 2.93 GHz
      Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450
      Hard Drive: 1TB

Comment

Well it's more to limit, better say cap it to a desired value like 60 or 30. If hardware can't achieve certain framerate, setting some higher value in .ini file wouldn't help anyway.
        Only thing that could really drop the fps there would be if that actor uses a material with real time reflection, but I'm not sure if that's the case here. Have you tried other demo maps like Deck or Example map, what is your framerate there?
        Sometimes older driver version can affect it.

Also, there are several tools to track performance you could try (like stat unitgraph) command, however I'm still new to understanding them, so it's better that more experienced user gives the advice there.

Comment

Example map: 17-19 FPS
          DM-Deck: 14-15 FPS

There are no old drivers on my computer.

I am using soft body physics in my level. I removed it , but I still get the same results.

Comment

Well that is strange then. Unless you're using some high poly count on those meshes, I can't think of any reason why it would work so sluggish. I doubt materials are complex there, and you already said you only have a few meshes in the scene.
            One thing that might help out a bit, if you're using DX11 would be to drop down to DX9 renderer. This would give more fps, but it wouldn't solve the cause of the problem why are you having half the performance than on the other maps.

Comment

If you "play in viewport", you tend to get lower frame rate than if you "play on PC".

Comment

I know that if you play in viewport you get a lower FPS. I am going to intall the older version of UDK to see if that works better.

Comment

I am now using the UDK September 2010 build. For DM-Deck I am now getting a frame rate of 21-30 FPS.

Comment

Working...
                  X