No announcement yet.

Shader Distortion Real-Time Translucency Rendering & Post-Process Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like you have a better idea of what parallax occlusion is now. If you look into a crack in the sidewalk you can see parallax occlusion as you go side to side. Things seem to move at different speeds at different distances from you. Occlusion just means that part of the texture can cover up another part of the texture. Like when the upper lip of the crack covers up part of the deeper crack.

The "depth-based distortion" was SceneTexture UV distortion that was based on depth. What you should take away from that is the UV distortion. You can use any type of distortion that you like, including what you see in his video. It's just a simple matter of making a texture and animating it using math.

Comment

Sorry, I didn`t ment SceneRenderTarget, my bad. You`re on the right track with using SceneTexture i think.

Comment

Originally posted by ADayInForever View Post
        Thanks for replying . I'll tell you specifically everything I want to know.

4) Highlight Effect
        Seems rather straightforward, you could probably adjust the shadow, mid-tone and highlight settings to get the values he's used... but then... that wouldn't explain how he blows out the shapes of specific objects with an emissive white light or how he sets the gradient effect. (I know this can be done with a red dominantdirectional light and a fog emitter... but can this be done with just material and post-process chains?). Does the material work such that it's given a white emissive if the object exists beyond a clamped value range? Or is there more to it than that? Or if I'm not thinking about this correctly, how might this material network be set up and then applied to a PP chain?

5) Electrical Field Vision
        Based on your tutorial, he's using some kind of posterization effect... but only on specific objects below a certain light value. Really dark objects become more posterized, while lighter objects become less so. And then there's the issue of halos over extremely bright objects. Now if I were writing a shader network, I'd be inclined to put in an "if" node that checks whether the light value is above a certain range, and if so, multiply that value by an arbitrary value X to get the halo. But then he's also got a vertical grain applied over the objects above the certain light value as well, which sort of complicates my understanding of the effect. Especially when the vertical striping is always relatively vertical to the viewer despite the camera translation and rotation applied. How would he get a vertical striping only on the objects?

6) Thermal Vision
        Again the posterization effect is applied here. But the highlight values are magnified and the posterization is preserved even at the higher values... although not nearly as much. And then there's the purple halo effect surrounding each of the figures that generates a heat signature. How does the shader tell the difference when called in post-processing? And how is this posterization effect created?
        It looks like he is somehow targeting specific actors, I haven't a clue how he's managing this unless he's altering the material of the objects at the same as he applies the post process. Anyone else have some input on this subject? Its been bothering me for a while.

Comment

Nothing stopping you from switching out materials at the same time as swapping post process chains.

Comment

Even in multiplayer? But really its not only that, he's adding highlights to specific actors in post process. This is best seen at 39sec in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juB-PHKRG9s&hd=1&t=0m34s Doesn't look like a regular old material swap, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X