Scaling and Converting Models from Another Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaling and Converting Models from Another Game

I want to remake map from Call of Duty 2 (Carentan) but I'm not sure how to scale everything correctly. How do I make sure that each building is the correct length and everything? I wanted to maybe convert a building model from CoD2 and then put that in the editor just for scaling purposes but not actually use it. Is that possible? Is there a way to measure the buildings in game or just another method all together that you guys use for scaling? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

First you should make sure you can legally do that. Second why not just make your own building in Blender? Trust me it will be ten times faster. That having been said just do a search for UDK reference blocks and you'll find them I think they're over at KatsBits but I'm not sure. Of course you'll still have to get the building into a modeling program to resize it. Which is why it's easier to build your own.

Comment

That's what I was planning to do. I just don't know how I would make sure the size was a close as possible to the original size. I have no way of using a measuring tape or something ingame.

Comment

Been experimenting with this myself, porting over stuff from Uru/Myst Online: Uru Live, with wild success. However the reason for the success was that the scale is known in Uru: 1 Unit = 1 Foot in either Blender or Max (Max is what they made the game with). Can't port over the whole game for real however because the content is not opened sourced, and Cyan's legal department confirmed that for me. However they did let me post pictures and videos of my work (Cyan has gotten interested in the possible use of either Unreal or CryEngine).

In UDK, 1 foot = 16 units, so scaling is actually easy: In Max, simply scale up by 1600%, in Blender select everything, hit the "S" key for scaling and type in 16. Works great.

Now, all you need to do is find out what the scaling is for CoD2 (and I can't remember even though I used to used the GTKRadiant to make maps for it way back when, heh, sorry). I want to say it seems like they did the same thing back then: 1 Foot = 16 units. That really seems to stick in my head.

Be thankful you're not trying to use CryEngine as 1 unit = 1 meter, hehehehehe. Scaling was a bit harder to convert since there are 3.28083 feet to a meter.

Edit: Here you go, found something for you:

http://www.global-army.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5138

So for Cod2 1 unit = 1 inch.

Comment

Wow, thanks! that's exactly what I needed. All that info should be very usefully for me.

Comment

Working...
          X