Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making Buildings

Hey all,

New to UDK development and I'm making my first level. I was hoping to setup a few buildings that I could run around in with maybe some different levels (maybe two floors). I'm a programmer, not an artist, but I'm hoping to just get something basic layed down. I started making a building using the proc building stuff with Facade, but is this only intended for making buildings that you can't go inside?

I don't see anything for making doors. I suppose you could just make a window to use as a door. Also, when I'm inside the building, all of the faces of the building are being backface culled. Lastly, when I put down a floor material I didn't see any changes.

Any tips are appreciated!
    Thanks.

I don't know a lot about facade but by the sound of things it's just making a box that you can attach objects (like windows) to, basically when you're inside your standing inside the mesh and seen as polygons aren't two sided... yeah.

Use blender/3DS max/Maya, I know you said you're a programmer but they're are heaps of tutorials around so it shouldn't be too hard to make something simple =].

http://download.blender.org/document...%20Castle.html
    Not a house but should teach the basics of blender

Hope that helps.

Comment

I just started recently as well. The easiest way to make structures is probably with BSP brushes. You can't do much in the way of aesthetics, but if you just need some basic structures to run around in they are very easy to use

Comment

A simple hollow BSP box with a subtracted volume for the door works as well.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will probably try to get something hashed out with BSP brushes and if I need something more I might start messing with max/maya =)

Comment

if your wanting just a test level for you to mess around on use static meshes. resize them and build away.

Comment

procbuilding is for display only building shell, with changeable parts like windows, doors etc. if you wan't to have buildings with interiors etc, then you need to create the required modular meshes in 3d programs like 3dmax,maya,blender and import them in udk. BSP is good for level layout, but not suitable for proper game. meshes included with udk are good enough to create a simple level with walls, roof , stairs etc, (mostly factory type areas ) give it a try.

Comment

Working...
              X