level designer? or 3d Artist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

level designer? or 3d Artist?

Hi, i have a question, i have always liked making levels, and decorating them with static meshes, lights, etc.....

and so, i have always called my self a level designer,but i stumbled upon a thread saying that level designers only make flow of game. They dont make the level "pretty", like i want to do.

my question is.... do i want to be a level designer? a 3d artist? or an environmental artist?

all i really want to do i decorate the levels with assets, even if it means sacrificing making the flow of game.

thanks for your time
    any questions please ask

Originally posted by bobtheturtle View Post
    Hi, i have a question, i have always liked making levels, and decorating them with static meshes, lights, etc.....

and so, i have always called my self a level designer,but i stumbled upon a thread saying that level designers only make flow of game. They dont make the level "pretty", like i want to do.

my question is.... do i want to be a level designer? a 3d artist? or an environmental artist?

all i really want to do i decorate the levels with assets, even if it means sacrificing making the flow of game.

thanks for your time
    any questions please ask
    i think u already get the answer, actually i asked myself before because this question also confused me a lot, but then i decided to be a designer instead of an artist. Being totally new to udk so i'm curious about almost everything especially those visual effects created by the engine, but this is just the start, the key point is whether u got continuous interest in making your level "pretty". In my case, i prefer creating impressive level structures.

Comment

It sounds to me like you want to work on environment art as opposed to level design. If that's the case, work on the modeling and don't worry about trying to create a level structure.

Though, in many cases with smaller companies, a level designer might also have to take up modeling duties. It all depends on where you're working.

Comment

thanks Jessie so an environment artist makes the models, then adds them into the game him/her self?

and if i wanted to start becoming an environmental artist, i will need to learn max?maya?zbrush?photoshop? what do i need to learn basically?

thank you i really appreciate it

Comment

It's not black and white. Level designers can do pretty stuff and environment artists can create levels too. Do what you want and go from there. No one is saying you can't create 3D models as a level designer and vice versa.

Comment

Do both?

go for level designer and 3d artist, then you can draw your own levels and make your own meshes to it !

aren't that perfect ? i think so

Comment

funny... I'm a programmer (for work that is)... And guess what... I'm not programming in Unreal Script..

Not yet that is... I'm working with UDK for 6 months, learning level design/environmental design, whatever u want to call it..
              I'm also making 'assets' for my personal library... Right now I'm making a lot of trees and foilage... and modeling objects, architecture, weapons, etc. After that I want to learn how
              to build skeletal meshes...

In the end, when i have enough 'assets' I want to build my first game... and also start with unreal script...

so what makes me then?

Oh yes, i'm also a musician and planning to make my own game music with my homestudio..

Comment

thanks for the feedback everyone! so i guess I am going to continue the path of level designing, and i am going to learn how to model.

Comment

Level designer typically places assets in the level (they don't create the assets themselves) And they can do things like kismet scripting or even lighting (if there isn't a dedicated lighter). They're main job is putting things together from a gameplay perspective.

Environment artist creates the actual assets that would be used in an environment by the level designer. This is a pure art job. It focuses on designing parts for specific use or creating modular assets.

Comment

Working...
                  X