Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain texturing advice

Hi

This is my first big UDK project that I am working on. I am learning the engine as I go with it and I got a small problem. I have made a small piece of terrain for my environment and I am getting some problems with it. As you can see on the screenshot when lit, the seam between the terrain and static mesh (with cobblestone) which is intersected with it is not visible. However where there are shadows from the dominant directional you can see where it ends and there is also some nasty shadows near the roots. I think I might have done it wrong this way.

At the moment it is basicly a static mesh (plane) with some vertex paint shader (cobblestone+grass) applied to it intersected with a terrain mesh. Vertex paint gives me nice sharp fill ins between cobblestones which I like and would like to keep.
    When I tried to make this with only terrain adding 3 materials (Soil+grass+cobblestone) i didn't get the results I wanted simmilar to vertex paint.

I got few questions:

Is there a way I could set up vertex paint shader so I could paint with 3 different textures ? Mix cobblestone with grass and cobblestone with soil.
    Is painting on a plane mesh gonna be a better way to go with it rather than having terrain intersected with a static mesh ?
    How could I fix the errors with terrain intersecting the mesh that I have on the screenshot ?
    Could you reccomend a better way to approach this ?
    What might be causing some roots to be different dark green color ?

Hi, if only the are u have shown in pic is using Terran then i d say use static mesh as a terran, rather than terran tool. Check UDK Night and Day map in showcase folder of UDKGame>Content>maps and u ll see that all the walkable area is build up of small static mesh floor pieces and Terran is used for distant mountains which look gr8. As for Vertex painting http://thiagoklafke.com/modularenvironments.html < there are some issues with it so avoid it if possible, vertex painting darken up the painted area.
    OR if ur terran is used to cover large area and the buidling shown in pic is just part of it then goto Terran propeties and increase light map resolution to no more than 16 first. Also study UDK maps and u ll find that EPIC gives large lightmap resolution to bigger objects in proportion to UDK character size, so ur tree is big three times as hight as a player so to speak so give it lightmaps res of lets say 64 or 128. Also check that ur mehses have good lightmap UVs (u need 2 UVW set for each mesh, one for textures and one for lighting).
    In dominant light properties increase cascading shadow radius to 3500 and min max values below it to 3 and 4 or 10, 10.
    Goto world properties and check if AO is on or off, test it with off if its on or vice versa.
    in content browser type UTpostprocess_console and see if SSAO is enabled, use it with AO from world properties ON or OFF (enable disable it too with AO).

Hope what i wrote might help ya, as i have gone through these issues myself lately, I would suggest u use Landscape as Terran will soon be out of UDK.

Comment

EDIT if only the area*

Comment

Thanks Hawk I have applied some changes you mentioned and that nasty shadow went away. The blending between the terrain and the mesh is a bit smoother but not perfect. Once I add more foliage it should cover it up.

Need to read more about post processing tho.

Comment

Ah looks better now indeed .

Comment

Again I encountered a problem but this time its with grass. I used the foliage brush to scatter the grass around the area. On DX9 mode I got some very wierd grass shading. Some areas are even black. Here are some screenshots :

Anyone knows what might be the problem ? Or maby i need to setup a special material shader for the grass ?

Also when switching to DX11 Renderer apart from black spots my grass goes blue like this :

I have no idea how to fix those problems so any help would be very much appreciated

Comment

anybody ?

Comment

heck I used it for adding grass, and I have wind in my scene. Well you can imagine my surprise that my grass is doing "the wave" Literally coming off of the terrain

Comment

Ye I know exactly what you mean. Too bad there is no way around it.
                  Anyway still haven't found the solution for that grass problem that I have so I am bumping the thread

Comment

Working...
                  X