Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Problem With Street NPC Dialogue

hello,
    I've run into a problem I can't seem to find normal solution from.

Basically What I want, NPC's at coffee cafe merrily drinking coffee and chatting. if player get's near he can hear their conversation, if he wonders of enough distance he can't hear them anymore. (sound dropping as the distance between them grows).

what I have Tried: Matinee playing Both Animation and Sounds:
    Didn't work because if there's Sound in Matinee, Player can hear it loudly everywhere, despite the distance.
    I could not find a way to localize Sound in Matinee to source within gameworld, so it would be heard if only player was near enough.

My second try was: Matinee Plays Animation, Sound is Played by AmbientSoundToggleable. And Event on Event Track at Matinee Start Toggles Sound On, Event At Matinee End Toggle's It Off.
    Problem was with Ambient sound, it starts from the beginning when Player Enters AmbientSounds Radius. that means matinee maybe playing half the way when Player enters SoundRadius and Sound starts from the beginning, Animation End Quicker and Turns sound off, All kind of Lipsych forgotten and sound cutoff.

I don't know how else to do it,
    If any of you know another way to do things kind of thing, or how to fix the ways I tried, That would help me a lot.

thanks in advance
    -hellwalker

You could make a large trigger volume that will trigger a play sound node in kismet that has the "finished" output plugged back into the play input to allow it to loop. You could then set the table as the target so the audio will come from there and then open up the sound cue of the audio you're going to use and add an attenuation node to it so it will fade in and out as the player gets close.

EDIT: I noticed you have an animation too that actually syncs. You should, instead of a trigger volume, just have the animation play in matinee and plug the finished output into the play input to loop that, and do the same with the same, and have both of them start playing on level loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by JessieG View Post
      You could make a large trigger volume that will trigger a play sound node in kismet that has the "finished" output plugged back into the play input to allow it to loop. You could then set the table as the target so the audio will come from there and then open up the sound cue of the audio you're going to use and add an attenuation node to it so it will fade in and out as the player gets close.

EDIT: I noticed you have an animation too that actually syncs. You should, instead of a trigger volume, just have the animation play in matinee and plug the finished output into the play input to loop that, and do the same with the same, and have both of them start playing on level loaded.
      so basically PlaySound that has Cue with attenuate node in it and some object as target will play the sound like it was comming from that object and won't sound everywhere?

that would be awesome if it works(in new udk version), I'll try it out
      thank you

Comment

Yep. That's exactly how it works. Just mess with the attenuation node in the sound cue editor to get the right distance you want.

Comment

Playsound trick saved a lot of trouble with gazilions of toggle sounds, thx
          but it still plays from the start if player Reenters the zone.
          I placed trigger that disables matinee and sound and restarts process
          not a pretty site
          http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/unledref.jpg/

Comment

Originally posted by hellwalker View Post
            Playsound trick saved a lot of trouble with gazilions of toggle sounds, thx
            but it still plays from the start if player Reenters the zone.
            I placed trigger that disables matinee and sound and restarts process
            not a pretty site
            http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/unledref.jpg/
            Click on the trigger in kismet and change the max trigger count from 0 to 1. Since the playsound is looping you dont need to retrigger it whenever the player walks by. Same thing for the animations, you just have to make sure to click each skeletal mesh and press F4 and turn on the "Update Skel when not rendered" option so they'll stay synced with the audio if the player walks away and comes back later (if you don't turn this check box on the skeletal meshes will freeze as soon as the player isn't looking at them)

Comment

Working...
            X